Colorado trip last week of September.

Hula

Reaction score
I had a driving/camping overland trip planned for Idaho, but with the fires and closures in the sawtooth I'll wait til next year. So, I decided to go over to Colorado and maybe skirt some fires there since it's closer to Oklahoma. Any advice on some key places to disperse camp and fly fish (wade) where I'm not breathing smoke?
thanks

biker1usa

Reaction score
Most of the rivers have been running low, but still fishable. Depending on which part of the state you want to fish, there is the Arkansas which has an excellent tailwater below Pueblo Reservoir; the Rio Grande which has some real good fishing between Creede and South Fork; the Poudre which I have heard is real low so I couldn't tell about it. There are also some good lakes to fish in the Southern part of the state with some decent fish.

Papafish

Papafish
Reaction score
I would suggest checking out 11 Mile Canyon. There is camping spots in the canyon with no power, not sure about water. Lake George Cabins & RV park have full hook ups. Spinney Reservoir has camping with some full hook up. Spinney is by the Dream Stream. The big Browns should be running the last week of September. These are both public waters. Woodland park has 2 fly shops and 1 fly shop at Lake George. Deckers is not that far away which also has 1 fly shop. Lots of Youtube vidoes on these locations. I have fished all of them with good days and bad days.

proheli

Reaction score
I don't know what usually happens to the water levels between here and the end of Sept, but I just did a month long round-robin trip of Colorado, and the water isn't just low, it's really low. And its warm, too warm after lunch for my ethical position. Most, if not all of the guides I spoke with said it was a really good idea to get off of the water by Noon. That is basically what I did. Several rivers, like the Yampa in Steamboat Springs have voluntary closures. With a lot of the rivers unfishable or at the very least undesirable, it has all of those other On-vacation fisherman going to the same spots, so many places are getting a lot of pressure. At some point, I let up on my fishing schedule and became very selective. I just didn't want to harm the fish.

I know the Vacationers will be less by the end of Sept so that is a good thing. Its the worst year for snow in 20 years in CO. I'm not trying to rain on your idea, I just don't want you to be to dissapointed. Is there anyway you can look at Wyoming or Montana?

However, like Papa said, even though there were a lot of fisherman, 11-mile had enough water, so did the Dream Stream. Parts of the Gunnison were fine. My reccomendation would be to get of the beaten path as much as possible. I saw a couple of trophy-water sections that looked more like a rock concerts by the number of people that were fishing.

Papafish

Papafish
Reaction score
The South Platte River (Dream Section) from the last two weeks of September until the end of October will have a lot pressure on the weekends it will have 2 fisherman on every bend. This is do to the amount of large Browns running up the river to spawn also the Kokanee's will follow the Browns to spawn. Cutbows, Rainbows and Cutthoats will also run up the river to dine on the eggs. Fisherman need to watch for Redd's when wading respect the fanning fish. I try to fish mid-week less pressue. If this would be your first trip I would suggest you may want to look into a guide for a full or half day trip.
11 Mile Canyon will also have Browns running to the top end to spawn you will not have as much pressure in the canyon do to fisherman going for tropy pictures on dream section.
The state will increase follows in both section to help spawning fish.
I did not fish any free flow rivers this year do to low and warm water. I did fish tail waters of Estes lake and had some luck. As you can tell from post I love these two section of the river.
Good luck to you and enjoy your trip.

kevind62

Reaction score
+1 for 11 Mile Canyon. The C&R section will yield some trophy bows and cutthroats. Browns are easy picking before the sun hits the water and the fish are able to see you in the lower sections. Early morning and late afternoon yield a lot of action. Not a lot of pressure as far as number of fisherman but it's a short section from Lake George to the dam so it does see it's fair share of pressure just from the few that frequent each section throughout the day multiple times. The fish tend to get spooky once you're more visible to them. Use a lot of stealth during the mid day times or fish the rapids. Smaller fish for the lost part in the rapids but they'll nail a fly in a heartbeat.