Advice for Ennis area beginning of May

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
A group that I fish with most springs in Wyoming has decided on a change of venue for 2019 and has booked a cabin between Quake Lake and Ennis on the Madison.

I haven’t fished that area in years, and when I did it was generally later in the season. I guess the main target, mostly wading, is the Madison, but possibly other rivers such as the Gallatin or the Big Hole.

Any drift fishing would be with guides because none of these folks have drift boats. And the ages run from early 60s to mid 70s, if that matters.

I tie most of the flies for this annual trip. I’m caught up on wooly buggers, slumpbusters, standard nymph patters and such, but are there other flies I need to be working on? I know the Mother’s Day Caddis hatch is a big deal, but are there any other specific dry patterns that are needed. That time of year on the Henrys Fork we used to get a good hatch of small black stone flies and occasional BWO mayflies.

As I remember, the riffle water is very productive, but I used mostly soft hackles, emergers and dries later in the summer.

AT this point I am looking for any advice that I can share with the others. Lodging is already arranged, but if you have suggestions for meal stops or side trips let me know.

Thanks for anything you can share without burning your specific fishing locations.

Don

pfetz

Reaction score
Be sure to tie up some Caddis nymphs - easy to tie and effective. I like a shaggy green wire caddis. Zebra midges black/silver are also good IMO. Enjoy, that is a great area.

silver creek

Reaction score
I've never fished the Madison that early in the year. What I would worry about the runoff. Hebgen Lake mitigates the runoff since the lake level will be taken down and hold back some of the runoff. I would call Slide Inn and ask them how the fishing is in May and then I would call them again just before you leave.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
The important things to remember when fishing the Madison River in the Spring are to be flexible....and mobile.

I’ve crushed fish in May on Caddis, BWOs, midges and streamers. Have lots of different flies and be willing to switch things up according to rapidly-changing conditions.

Bring droppers for your dries. Heavy flies with Tungsten beads will help. That time of year I’ve had great luck running a #16 PT Soft Hackle under a Goddard Caddis and a #18 Olive Soft Hackle under an Olive Sparkle Dun.

Don’t be afraid to fish a two-dryfly rig during a hatch. One of my best fishing days of my career came on the Madison in May, just downstream of $3 Bridge, fishing a #16 Peacock Caddis that had a #16 Iris Caddis hung 12” off the bend of its hook. You would not believe me if I told you how many nice fish I caught that day.

Fish dries or dry/dropper upstream. Be sure to bring along your favorite Trout Spey rod, then string it up and swing streamers or soft hackles when you’re heading back down.

Try not to nymph it. One of the most glorious things about the Madison River is that her fish are willing to rise to a well-presented fly. This trait is, IMHO, the thing that sets her apart from the world’s other great trout streams.

Remember the West Fork of the Madison River. It joins the main stem right near the bridge that crosses the Madison at the Old Kirby Place. If the river is off-color in town or at Varney or at Lyons, use your mobility to get above the confluence of the West Fork, which will undoubtedly be puking mud into our precious Miss Maddy.

Fish side channels whenever you come across them.

If the Caddis are on, seek out streamside vegetation and pick your way up those edges. Believe it or not, in many places there aren’t a great deal of bushes along the Madison’s banks.

Eat, drink and spend buttloads of money in Ennis. It is one of the world’s great fly fishing towns, but most of its residents have about a 5-6 month window to make their livings. Try to help them out as much as you can.

Last edited:

planettrout

Reaction score
This is an access map for the Madison River:

Pay particular attention to where the West Fork enters the Madison just below Hwy. 87 coming out of Idaho. If, as it has been stated, runoff is early and heavy, the Madison below that point can turn into a chocolate milk shake. Keep an eye on the weather and predicted runoff by signing up for Blue Ribbon Flies weekly newsletter on the right HERE:

Shop Online

That also happens to be the premier Fly Shop in West Yellowstone where you will find a number of fly patterns developed by their guys specifically for the Madison River. This is their hatch chart:

This pattern, in #12 & #14 tied with a chartreuse tag, will put you into a lot of nice Trout during that time period:

BH Renegade-Wet

Don't neglect midge patterns and BWO/Baetis patterns in smaller size #18 - #22. A black Rainbow warrior in #18-#20 and a Shop Vac in #18- #20 tied both in the thread and PT version are good to have:

If the Mother's Day Hatch (Brachycentrus) is on, be prepared with some of these:

These guys are always looking for small Baetis above $3.00 Bridge:

PT/TB

Car7x

Reaction score
Well, howdy, Tim! There are no secrets on the Madison. I might as well do a brain dump. Getting more into steelhead now, so 'I'll share' as they say.

I have a cabin between Ennis and Varney. I used to hit the salmonfly hatch for vacation - that's about the time I met Tim, I think - but now with the kids off the payroll I go whenever I want. I actually took advantage of a fire sale last year, as I'm on the MFRC mailing list, and took a discount fly fishing school there in April. I mainly wade now, though I usually have my boat along. I usually have to row and only fish a little, and after being out there 25 years or so figured a little schooling wouldn't hurt.

Fishing was tough; it often is, regardless of season. I've known the guys running the shop for long enough that they don't feel they have to sugar coat or pump it up to me, and that's their take. It is a pressured fishery.
That said, it's a great fishery, just not an easy one. I would not be overly concerned about runoff in early May, but it's been a big snow year, obviously, so monitor it.

I like Trout Stalkers and for several years now the same folks own/run the Madison River Fishing Co., as well. Nick is the manager, friendly, hooked up , and has a great crew. Stalker's the hipper locals hangout, right by the Gravel Bar, which is the best after river dining option, hands down. MFRC is a great shop, often clogged with the more oriented tourists, but same great friendly service as Trout Stalkers. Orvis guys at the Tackle Shop are good too, but that is definitely a tourist destination. Wherever you go, get your license online to save the lineup of your whole party tagging up at once in the shops. Trout Stalker's is slower, so might be a good bet if town is busy and you are in a hurry, just need some tippet or whatever.

The Pharmacy/Yesterday's Cafe and Soda Fountain has real good food, but is slammed in the morning and gets tourist dumps from the Yellowstone buses. Good if you aren't in a hurry, or of course, off season it's not bad. Breakfast / lunch only, I think the food closes at 2, soda fountain open longer. Huckleberry shakes.
The PicAnic Basket makes great breakfast burritos. You can order those ahead the night before and ace out the line, same with their lunches. Nacho Momma's is excellent economical Mexican.

Avoid the Ennis Cafe and Sportsman's at all costs. Ennis Cafe has always been bad, to the point of being written up on inspection, and Sportman's is on a steady downward spiral in terms of property upkeep and food/service. Troutstalkers has cabins behind, the Riverside has been there forever and seems well sorted, and my buddies often stay at Fan Mountain.

Once I get my place built on the E Gallatin in Bozeman, that will be on the rental market, as will the cabin S of Ennis.

Re: jerky, meat to grill, etc.; the new guy, Chris, who bought out Restvedt's Meats, and renamed it Deemo's, is kind of a jerk. Messed up our elk job, forgot what he did and so mistakenly wanted to charge too much, etc. You can also get box lunches quick at Madison Foods or the Town Pump has some stuff too, I suppose. Madison foods and Deemo's will save rotisserie chicken from last night for you in the walk in if you call ahead, for a boat lunch.

The McCallister Inn has rooms now, and has earned a reputation for outstanding food and service, locally grown food and art for sale. It's at the turn into the Bear Trap Canyon, some of the best, most consistent fishing anywhere. The Norris Hot Springs, Water of the Gods, also grows their own food and is a great place for a soak and meal. There are a couple other newer, smaller food shops I haven't frequented yet.

The parts store/repair shop, D&D Auto, on the curve will charge your 12v over night, free. They packed my drift boat trailer bearings about 10 years ago, over night, for 10 bucks. They have a body shop now too.

There are some new walk in areas open to the public by Ruby Creek. Walking in anywhere off the gravel road between Ruby and McAttee gives you that W bank so hard to fish into the sunset - when the Ro hatch comes thru - from a boat, and it's an easy level hike from the road that eliminates all but the locals. Same as private water, fellas, go get 'em.

All the ramps have excellent shore fishing near by, the ones with no campgrounds, like Storey Ditch, or Windy Point, see fewer anglers. Like mountain hunting, the harder it is to get to, the less pressure the critter will have seen.

I regularly float the Canyon with a retired guide buddy. We could not do it legally until he gave up his license, as there is only one licensed outfitter, out of Bozeman, permitted for the whitewater stretch. Easy google...Maybe search 'Bear trap Canyon guide' or something, I forget their name.. I would highly recommend hiring that ride. Incredible fishing, big thrills, and outstanding scenery.

The whole Canyon fishes great. You can see some pressure from folks by the dam. That stretch holds big, active fish. Some folks haul them out to eat, so it most be legal. If you cross the footbridge to fish the far side, river left, be aware that it is thick with poison Ivy - anecdotally, the only patch in MT. Plenty of big rocks to hop, just keep your eyes open.
In spring and fall, the Lower Madison, after it exits the Canyon, is money. Fish the weed beds and edges. Less traffic and the water is warmer. A go-to strategy if the Upper is blown. There is a lot of river down there, much easier wading. The old guide's 'day off' choice. Excellent hike to wade options, either direction, but think about upstream into the Canyon mouth sometime...lots of snakes and probably some cougar potential, I've seen one broad daylight from the blacktop. You can strap yourself there, it's MT.

Also, there are plenty of mountain lakes, I have approximately 11 within about a half hour of bad road of my shack, but I'm not talking any further about them. I keep the shottie in the rig and wear my bear system anywhere in the Gravelly Range, lots of grizzly activity. Keep a clean situation and head on a swivel everywhere up top.

Over the pass W to Virginia City is the Ruby, and Alder Gulch. There's fish there too.

Way up S towards the park is the Grizzly Bar. Good food, excellent service, a lot of Californian MT landowners dressed correctly. Further on, Kelly's Slide Inn, always a great stop, and I love to hear him wax poetic and profane on any topic. RV parking and cabins. Some other food around there I haven't checked out. Always top off your tank in Ennis, no gas south probably til past Hebgen. Anywhere a half hour walk from 3 Dollar or Raynold's parking will put you on some good pocket water.

Wading is tough. Don't get over your knees and have a staff. You can do it, though, and be as or more productive as in a boat if you can fish.

Jeffer's to the lake, and town park river right bank, have good fishing. From town bridge to the lake is float to fish, as is everything upstream (S) of Lyons. Valley Garden has some good fishing and you can cover a lot of ground wading the shoals around the mid river islands. Walk as far from the last campsite as you can, it does see anglers.

W of Varney Bridge there is now walk in access to that spring creek. It's a marsh slog getting to it, and the Varney cutoff road to 287 is going to be closed again, I hear. Maybe not til fall - I just made a note of it for elk season., More re-hab, I think this time on the spring creek bridge??? Have fun, spend money, smile at folks!

Last edited:

kevind62

Reaction score
A couple things to add on lots of the restaurants on the outskirts like Grizzly Bar & Grill is that most are by reservation only. Not that they're over crowded, just that when you're sort of out in the middle of nowhere there aren't a lot of people that frequent these places. They only prepare enough food for known customers. They don't do a ton of business so not wanting to waste food. Understandable. Food is good but pricey. Make sure you call ahead early in the day to any restaurant you want to go to outside of town and check for reservations. They stop taking reservations early in the evenings. They have to let their workers go at a decent time to get home also. Also understandable. Just south of Grizzly's is Driftwater Resort. The little restaurant there takes walk-ins and has a good pizza and the burgers are good. And not too pricey. So if you find yourself without a place to eat it's a good back up plan. People were real nice both times we ate there.

Avoid the Ennis Cafe and Sportsman's at all costs. Ennis Cafe has always been bad, to the point of being written up on inspection, and Sportman's is on a steady downward spiral in terms of property upkeep and food/service. Troutstalkers has cabins behind, the Riverside has been there forever and seems well sorted, and my buddies often stay at Fan Mountain.

Way up S towards the park is the Grizzly Bar. Good food, excellent service, a lot of Californian MT landowners dressed correctly. Further on, Kelly's Slide Inn, always a great stop, and I love to hear him wax poetic and profane on any topic. RV parking and cabins. Some other food around there I haven't checked out. Always top off your tank in Ennis, no gas south probably til past Hebgen. Anywhere a half hour walk from 3 Dollar or Raynold's parking will put you on some good pocket water.

Last edited: