Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Could be frozen, could be golden... San Diego to Yellowstone in one week.

Cool Andy - thanks for the vote of confidence on our timing. I'm sitting here watching my AP Environmental Science kids finish up their exam and I'm freaking out. In a couple hours I'm gonna be jamming up the 395 to fish the E. Walker River and Upper Owens - then it's back home to San Diego and off to Yellowstone. The suspense is KILLING me!

Just found out (thank you magic Google machine) that Jackson town center has the giant elk arches - my girl loves that kind of thing so it's looking like Sunday brunch in the town square and a bit of the old walk-about to the tourist shops to keep her happy.

Anybody got a lunch/brunch/food-in-general tip for the town of Jackson? Preferably near the town square? Oh - and if there's a must-visit Jackson fly shop near there please let me know. I'm a fly buyer, I'm good for local business.

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: Could be frozen, could be golden... San Diego to Yellowstone in one week.

If you like Tex-Mex, try The Merry Piglets.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

lots of good food places in Jackson, when we are there for lunch we eat at the Wort hotel, great food, but a bit spendy, but what the heck, we don't go there that often.
    Larry

Oh man, that's gonna be a great trip. Being in the Madison CG gives you access to pretty much all the park.

2 years ago, I visited West Yellowstone for a week in the beginning of October and had some phenomenal fishing on the Madison, right near the western park entrance. That trip pretty much ruined me, (in a good way) since we don't get that type of opportunities in SoCal.

Pack a variety of clothing! During my visit, snow had just got dumped a few days ago, and mornings were a nice 10 degrees, but it warmed up to about 65 during the day.

Not sure when it closes but the Gros Ventre campground isnít far from Jackson. The Gros Ventre river runs right through it.

As far as food, I can only tell you what not to eat...the sushi joint. Didnít get sick or anything, just way overpriced and mediocre at best. We only did dinner in Jackson the first night we came through as well.
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

Thanks for the info darkshadow- we're fired up and leaving tomorrow! We will pack super warm clothes and it seems like I picked the right campground. I will report back once I return. BTW: I hear you on being "ruined" - I was camping and fishing in Montana over the summer and I'm definitely ruined too!

I'll do some investigating about that Gros Ventre campground - it sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks for the anti-tip on the sushi spot... I usually save sushi for when I'm home (San Diego) or near another coastline... except for this one sushi spot in Lake Tahoe that has an all-you-can-eat special and its pretty dang good. Too bad I can't remember the name of the spot.

Ok we leave tomorrow - gonna make a big push for Cedar City (from San Diego) and then get to Jackson the following day. I already bought a one day WY fishing license so I'm hoping to be able to swing some soft hackles for at least a couple of hours before I have to do the obligatory "shopping" thing. The following day we'll be in the Madison Campground.

Sorry I've been offline and not able to promptly respond but I just did five days of fishing and exploration up in Northern California and "neighboring regions" - it was a great trip camping and fishing in my rig "ELMucho". Here are some fish pics from the trip.

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 11.24.37 PM.jpg

Did some searching and found some empty water.

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 11.25.24 PM.jpg

Swung some soft hackles and found some eaters...

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 11.24.17 PM.jpg

They weren't huge fish but they were willing.

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 11.25.05 PM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Likes wthorpe, tx_newb, brownbass, cpiercem liked this post

Just got home to San Diego. What an awesome trip - even if I didn't hook into the big Fall browns coming up the Madison.

I ended up fishing the following rivers: Hoback, Madison, Firehole, Soda Butte, East Walker (on the way home). I had my best luck on the Firehole where I hooked many fish and landed a bunch of smaller fish (approx. 6 - 8") and one very nice 14" brown.

Fishing in Yellowstone is awesome - the scenery and access can't be beat. Especially the Firehole which, as you know, features lots of weird/awesome hotspring activity right next to it.

We camped at the Madison Campground - which has walking access to the Madison river. It was tough fishing on the Madison while I was there. There were quite a few fly fishermen and all that I spoke to agreed that it was really, really slow. Only one guy that I talked to said he caught fish - a nice brown (he claimed 18") and a good rainbow. Both caught by swinging soft hackles. I'm a soft hackle enthusiast so I felt like I was on the right track, besides, there weren't any significant hatches and the fish weren't eating off the top while I was there with any frequency.

My best fish was taken out of the middle of a riffle on the Firehole - I was swinging two soft hackles (a light one up top and an all black/peacock hurl fly at the bottom) when I got the standard soft hackle bump, I slowly raised the rod to set the hook and instead of feeling the light weight of a small fish, I was hit with a solid, hefty bit of vibrating feed back. The brown ran across the river twice and after a short deadlock (he turned sideways to the current) I had him in the net. He was a beautiful, thick, very colorful brown that I quickly unhooked and released.

Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 4.17.09 PM.jpg

The weather was basically unsettled with scattered showers, some sunny days and lots of wind. We drove out to the Lamar Valley and I tried to swing soft hackles on the Soda Butte but, again, everybody I spoke to mentioned how much of a bust fishing had been that day.

We ended up camping at Madison for four days, seeing lots of really cool stuff in the park and having a great time hiking around and, for me, fishing. I was able to fish everyday at least twice, once in the morning and then in the afternoon.

The Madison, while looking extremely fishy, proved to be just brutal. One morning I was throwing a big black leech streamer and I had a fairly nice sized fish follow it to the bank. That was about the most excitement I had on the Madison - oh, and that same morning, ice crystals formed on the guides of my rod - it was so cold!

The Firehole was my favorite river - even though the fish were generally small, it was extremely satisfying to be able to pull fish out of there. I lost quite a few fish with maybe a couple of them going in the 12 - 14" range - I landed a bunch of very colorful small trout.

On the way home we diverted from Salt Lake City over to the East Walker river - I just had to get back on that water again! I went directly out to the spot that I had had success on and started swinging soft hackles. Once again, the hackles were deadly! An older gentleman who had been trying to go with dry flies came by to "just watch" me fish. I instead handed him a couple of soft hackles (flashback pheasant tail soft hackle and a lighter colored fly for the upper fly in the rig) and put him onto the riffle I'd been working - it was super fun to watch him suddenly get into fish!

I ended up walking a bit down the river and found a spot away from the road where the fishing went to a ridiculous level - I was hooking trout two at a time! These were trout in the 10 - 12" range, and they may have been planters (although their adipose fins were intact) but I was basically catching them cast after cast, one trout hitting the bottom fly and then, usually, another grabbing the top fly. I can't wait to get back up there and walk some more of that river.

In all, my girl and I had a great time. I'm heading back to Montana next summer and I may make some time to dip into the park and see how my old buddy, the Firehole, is doing. I also would like to try the Madison again - it just looks so darn fishy!

That sounds amazing!

My buddy was just fishing the Madison over the weekend. He said he wasn't able to land most of the big ones, they just know how to get off. I think he was doing a lot of nymphing with big streamers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12