Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Default Arizona Trout in the winter?

I'll be visiting my sister and family in Arizona for a week sometime in late January/ early February. I'm primarily a a creek/ river loving trout bum, but I have no idea what Arizona holds as to this type of fishery. I've fished New Mexico, which provides ample opportunities for this kind experience. Do any of you have any suggestions or advice as to what I might expect. I plan on looking at anywhere in the State as holding possible destinations. As always, I am deeply grateful for your help.

Leftytyro

Default Re: Arizona Trout in the winter?

A buddy of mine just fished Silver Creek and he said it was great.

That time of year it all depends on the weather.

Just north of Phoenix there is the Salt River kinda sort by Saguaro Lake. It ain't great. I'm not even sure it is good.
    -Rick Allen

3. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Thanks Rick,

I thought maybe the Flagstaff area (depending on snowfall) might be a region to explore, or maybe try my luck on streams within the Mogollon Rim.

5. Likes myt1 liked this post

There's not many choices for winter trout near flag. The rim streams will be frozen. Lees ferry is the closest good winter trout fishing. Just about any lower elevation water will be stocked with trout and not as cold.
    steve

7. Likes cpiercem, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

In January and February around Flagstaff, most water will likely be frozen, though it looks like we're forecast to have a rather mild winter. In that area, I'd guess that your best bets would be (in no particular order): Oak Creek near Sedona, the Upper Verde River, and Wet Beaver Creek. I personally haven't fished these waters in a couple years, so I can't tell you how good the fishing should be, but they used to fish okay.

If you're going to be staying in the Flagstaff area, I'd head up to the Ferry; at least you know the water won't be frozen and the fishing should be consistent, if a little slow.

They close the Rim Road on the Rim in the winter, so I'm not sure what will be accessible when you arrive in AZ, and it's probable that most water will be frozen.

Of all the creeks in northern AZ, Silver Creek is probably the easiest to fish and access, as long as a blizzard hasn't rolled through in the past couple days. Just try to avoid fishing there on the weekend; it can get pretty crowded up there then. Also, they stock SC with broodstock for the winter, so if you make it up there, bring some 3x tippet; I've tied into some 7+ pounders in there.

Good luck and good hunting.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

9. Likes cpiercem, mcnerney, jeepster II liked this post

Thanks, Gentlemen

I'm beginning to get a better handle on some of the northern State's possibilities and setbacks thanks to your info. Are there any areas in the southern or other parts of Arizona that might possibly harbor trout streams?

Quote Originally Posted by leftytyro View Post
    Thanks, Gentlemen

I'm beginning to get a better handle on some of the northern State's possibilities and setbacks thanks to your info. Are there any areas in the southern or other parts of Arizona that might possibly harbor trout streams?
    No. Our southern Arizona winter Fishery closed due to fire.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    steve

Yikes, with all the horrendous western wildfire this past season I completely missed hearing about Arizona's fire.