Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  40
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Making a long story longer

Took another quick trip to the salt water. Wanted a barn door halibut. No bigguns caught that day. The boat limited out on decent, eating size butts.

hal1.jpg

Homer
    Gull Island 053.jpg

Gull Island 055.jpg

Gull Island 101.jpg

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

In August we changed campgrounds. Moved the RV closer to downtown Soldotna. The pinks would be running soon. Along with them would be a few silver salmon mixed in for good measure. Pinks are a lot of fun to catch. I brought a smoker with me. I wanted to smoke a bunch of pink salmon to see how they turn out. I lucked out and found a smoker in the campground. Someone purchased one and then placed it right next to the dumpster in the campground. I was able to make a double batch and it saved me smoking time.

pinks 030.JPG

pnk2.JPG

The hospital in Soldotna removes a lot of embedded hooks that end up in unfortunate anglers. Once the hook is removed, it's placed on the wall in the corresponding body part from where it was removed. And it's not just men that end up in the ER. Flying hooks are equal opportunity offenders.

Him
    pink II 019.jpg

Her
    pink II 020.jpg

We had some great weather this time of year.
    pink II 009.jpg

4. Likes karstopo, mcnerney liked this post

Mid month of August I worked out a deal to keep my RV in Alaska. That meant I wouldn't be driving it back to the lower 48. I could stay a bit longer than anticipated. I would also we without the RV for about 9 months. I'd have to figure out a way to finagle another summer without working. Fate would make that quite an easy task.

Pinks mixed with a few silvers became the norm. It was a challenge to get past the pinks down to the larger cohos. A few days we managed. We also had a day where we hooked and brought to the boat 102 pink salmon. It took most of the day to accomplish this.

Eagle rock silver

Pinks and Silvers 002.jpg

my little workhorse boat
    Pinks and Silvers 014.jpg

August 18th was the last day we fished. We had another fantastic day weatherwise.

eagle rock II 013.jpg

I'm glad to took the boat with me. I had a lot of satisfaction getting out on the water instead of just being able to bank fish. I launched and fished in Maryland, Illinois, Montana, Fairbanks and all over the Kenai peninsula. We just had to go a short way from the banks to find plenty of salmon. If you look at the bank anglers, the best they could do from that point was get to the edge of the salmon. They probably hooked 1 fish for our 3.

IMG_1260.jpg
    Then it was time to get the RV winterized and moved to Palmer for hibernation. Then pack our bags and coolers to fly back home to Maryland.

So here's the twist. When I got back home I took a few days to get organized. I informed work I was back. It seems that my job was filled. I worked for a giant defense contractor that employs over 100K all over the world. They suggested that I extend my leave of absence, since 12 months is the maximum time. In the mean time they looked for a suitable job for me within the company.

I sat around and didn't have much to do. Of course I went fishing. I had to go back to my old office and clean out my desk. It was like someone had died. Old coworkers came up but said very little. It was surreal. It wasn't their fault. To be honest I knew this was a possibility of the leave of absence, it's just I never thought it would come to that.

Fast forward 7 months. I still don't have a job. I was officially terminated. I did some odd jobs in the meantime. Since I had my RV in Alaska I planned on heading back up in May to retrieve it. Then fate intervened again. I applied for a volunteer camp host position with the Alaska State Parks.

Now my Alaskan adventure really starts to get interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

A few more August pictures

eagle rock 007.jpg

campground trespassers
    Moose & baby 002.jpg

canned smoked salmon for the journey home
    smoking fish 006.jpg

they all can't be monster sized
    rv 017.jpg

minnow.JPG

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

My prior trips I had been accompanied by someone else. I didn't include much about her. We aren't together anymore. I felt that since this was my story, I'd keep her part anonymous for the most part. The new leg of my journey I'll be flying solo.

It's now May 2009. I have to figure out a way to get back to Alaska. If for no other reason than to fetch my motorhome. I find a space available flight out of New Jersey. There is an Air Force C-17 with empty seats going to Washington state then heading to Anchorage. I have my son drive me from Maryland up to the garden state. I sign in and I get on my flight. It's a cargo mission. It's just me and a family of 4. The inside of the plane is cold and cavernous. We sit on jump seats located along the wall. I make myself comfortable and fall asleep. It's not like I'm going to miss the movie or meal.

c-17 004.jpg

The plane is clean and the ticket price is right. I order a box lunch. The quality of those meals has changed over the years. Years ago you might find a boiled egg, cold fried chicken or some other tasty morsel in there. No such luck this time. Oh well.

c-17 001.jpg

The flight is uneventful. We arrive at McChord AFB. Spend the night then head out the next day. This time on board there is some sort of National Guard medical training. There are several stretchers with either real people or training dummies in them. There are multiple evaluators with clipboards. They are treating various injuries. We can't hear over the engine noise but it looks like serious stuff.

At least this time I have some sort of entertainment to observe. From my uninformed point of view, it looks like the beginning is starting a little shaky. People look apprehensive. But after a while things start clicking and it looks likes much more organized and purposeful. I thought it wouldn't be a good idea to take any photographs.

We land and I get my bags. Off to get a car so I can rescue my home on wheels. Then it's a drive down to return the car and begin a what I hope turns out to be a fun filled summer. Alaska, oh how I have missed you.

palmer 009.jpg

Now here's a sign you don't see very often
    palmer 010.jpg

What appears to be moose scrapings
    palmer 006.jpg

10. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Having loaded up with supplies in Anchorage, I point towards the Kenai Peninsula. I'm ready to put a line in the water. Along the highway there's a lake with a decent size pull out. I park there, then assembly my float tube. I launch and it's not too long before I come tight to a fish. It feels good to be back in the great land.

jerome 014.jpg

I get a mixed bag of fish. I know it's going to be a good summer. The long wait of returning is over.

jerome 016.jpg

I find pumping my legs in a float tube to be somewhat of an unnatural act. The best way to propel myself is to do it backwards. But then I can't see where I'm going. Getting out of the water, I'm somewhat ungraceful. I look like a hippo on roller skates.

jerome 009.jpg

I spend the night dry camping in the parking lot. I want to get an early start the next day, so I have plenty of time to get set up.

jerome 007.jpg

jerome 008.jpg

Catching the first few fish was nice. But I'm like a kid on Christmas eve with anticipation. I'm enjoying my solitude. I hit the sack with visions of the many adventures that await me ahead.

I finally arrive at my home for the next 3 months. I get set up. Then I get a rundown on what it is I'll be doing. Nothing too strenuous. The park employees work 4 ten hour days with 3 days off a week. In their absence, I'll be the visible presence in the park.

A few days later I get asked if I want to accompany them on a boat trip. They have to give a citation to someone that has docked a large barge in the bay. I jump at the chance to go.

I have to wear a float suit. The water is freezing and if you fall in you won't last too long. Here's my outfit.

Attachment 14241

It was tricky trying to attach the documentation to the barge. The swells made it difficult to keep the boat stabilized.

It was a gorgeous ride on the water, even if it was a bit cold. You get a different perspective on the city from the water.

bay 002.jpg

bay 003.jpg

bay 009.jpg

bay 021.jpg

I heard some scuttlebutt in town that they were catching reds in the saltwater locally. When I asked where they said McDonalds. Turns out it's a parking lot that is at the end of the river and at the head of the flats.

That area is interesting. When the tide is out, you can see the little ribbons of river that work their way through that area. When the tide comes up, you can't see where it's deep and where it's shallow. I walked with my forward foot acting like a depth finder. I saw a few people misstep. I didn't want that to be me.

Here's a lower tide shot and then the same spot with a rising tide.

s3 012.jpg

s3 013.jpg

When the tide comes in, so do the fish. Instead of just fishing in the river, you can fish to the left, to the right, in front and even cast behind you and catch fish. The red salmon limit in the saltwater is 6 fish. Almost all the fish are dime bright and excellent table fare. With a little hard work and some luck, you can get a limit in under 2 hours.

s3 014.jpg

I had access to a good commercial vacuum sealer. I'd pack the filets up in portion sizes then freeze the excess while keeping some fresh fish.

s3 018.jpg

s3 019.jpg

I continued to fish in the salt water, do volunteer things, get familiar with the town of Seward and eat fresh salmon. We had bear spray training, showing us the effective range of the spray. We used bottles that had expired but were still capable of shooting a blast of discouragement.

I loaded up a backpack with waders, boots, landing net and assorted fishing gear. I hiked back to Meridian lake. Bear spray on my hip. I fished there other years. It seems like the lake didn't get a lot of fishing pressure. By wading, I was able to get away from the banks and have room to cast.

It was a pleasant hike up. The trail is well groomed. It's under 2 miles uphill. You sign in at a kiosk at the trailhead. There were only 1 or 2 names per day in the register.

meridian1 038.jpg

meridian1 031.jpg

meridian1 027.jpg

The fishing was decent that day. The fish are brightly colored. A pair of loons kept me company.

meridian1 008.jpg

Here's a shot from the lower part of the trail.

mer.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast