Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  38
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Making a long story longer

I took a quick (12 hour) halibut charter. I was hoping to get at least a 40 pounder. No such luck. A guy 3 feet away from me nailed a 70 pounder. Oh so close. The boat limited out but most were under 20 pounds. It's 3 hours out to the fishing hole. 6 hours of lines in the water. Then 3 hours return trip. I went below and crashed both ways. I guess after living for 2 years on a navy ship, sleeping on them comes easy to me.

bear spray 014.jpg

The park employees held a get together for all the seasonal volunteers. After that several of us went to the Soldotna Historical Society displays. They relocated several of the homestead cabins used by homesteaders in the late 1940s. You can go in several of them.

Once inside the cabins, you imagine what life was like to live like that. Many people today have sheds or garages that are larger than what those folks lived in year round. Most are 1 room that served as living room, kitchen, bathroom & bedroom. Those were some hearty people. I like my modern conveniences too much but it makes you wonder if you possess the mettle to tough it out for several years to be granted a homestead.

jer2 009.jpg

jer2 010.jpg

Some of the actual homesteaders are on sight and can answer questions or give insight to what life was like back then. They would arrive by boat in Seward then have to make their way to Soldotna by walking. It's roughly an 80 mile trek through the woods. The gal said it took them 4 days & nights to walk to their homestead site.

Back in town it was more exploring. I came across this unusual lawn in town.

jer2 023.jpg

At the 3 week mark the summer solstice arrived. The longest day of the year in Seward. Here's a shot of the sunrise & sunset that day. 19 1/2 hours of official sunlight. It never gets truly dark that time of year. Dark is more like grey or twilight.

jer2 003.jpg

Personally I find the additional light invigorating. I had to put aluminum foil over my bedroom windows to block out the light so I could sleep.

1 day I decide to hike the coastal trail. It's part of the Caines Head trail. Part of the trail is intertidal. You can only hike it at low tide. It's no frills camping out that way. Not even a fresh water source. Everything has to be packed in.

The first part of the trail is easy. It leads to Tonsina Point. There are 2 feeder creeks that dump into the bay. The creeks are crystal clear. There is a feeling of solitude out that way. Every day there are a few hikers or kayakers that camp out that way.

There is a natural beauty to the place. Tall trees, root tangles, snow capped mountains across the bay. There is plenty of driftwood around. Some of the wood is sunbleached. The air is crisp. I could not have asked for a nicer day to explore this part of the park. The crystal clear creek appears shallower than it really is. Every detail of the river bottom is evident.

Here's a few pictures from that day.

This is the end of the wooded section before dropping down into the meadow
    IMGP2844.jpg

The sight that greets you when you first make your way into the meadow
    IMGP2848.jpg

IMGP2852.jpg

Water under the bridge
    IMGP2854.jpg

View from the beach
    IMGP2861.jpg

Driftwood on the beach
    IMGP2865.jpg

IMGP2869.jpg

IMGP2872.jpg

1 of the other volunteers did oil painting in his spare time. He had a bunch of his art up on the wall. While I was looking at them, 1 of them looked familiar. So I took a picture of his painting then compared it with some pictures I took a few days earlier. It seems the spot where I stopped to get my photo is the same spot, more or less, where he set up to paint for that day.

IMGP2874.jpg IMGP2876.jpg

2 days after my beach hike, I took another hike. This time I went into the Chugach Mountains. I had the idea of going fishing again at Meridian Lake. Only this time with a twist. I would take my boat up with me.

My boat has a pair of detachable wheels. I'd slap the wheels on and roll up to the lake and leisurely fish. I'd have plenty of room, be up on the water plus have plenty of gear.

I arrived and got everything ready. Initially I had an electric trolling motor and battery. The battery proved to be too heavy so I regrouped and returned both items to the truck. That made my portage a lot easier. In some spots the trail narrowed so I had to get creative with the wheels. In hindsight this excursion would have been idea for 2 people. Every time the wheels had an issue, I'd have to backtrack to get them unstuck. I used one of the oars as a yoke that was attached to a line connected to the boat.

b1.jpg

Once I got a few hundred yards up the trail I was fully invested. It turned out to be much more difficult than what I had imagined. It took nearly 3 hours to cover the trail. I was never so happy to finally arrive at my destination. What a feeling of accomplishment. With the hard work out of the way, it was time to fish.

IMGP2882.jpg

IMGP2886.jpg

I managed to catch a few trout. They had a unique color, with some having a golden hue to them. I saw my loony friends again.

IMGP2879.jpg

I contemplated leaving the boat overnight, then returning to fish again the next day. I've seen several aluminum and wooden boats at far away lakes before. I wondered how they got them way back in there. I decided against leaving the boat. I knew the chance of theft was slim but there was still a chance. I didn't have any way to secure it. So in the back of my mind I knew at some point I'd be retracing my steps back down the trail. And later that's what I ended up doing.

IMGP2893.jpg

Looking back I have fond memories of that day. Not so much for the fishing but for the enormous task that it took. I'd like to do that again but it's highly unlikely. As I get a bit longer in the tooth, I like to savor my time on the water. At some point in my life I will go fishing for the last time. I hope that day is far off in the future. But lacking a crystal ball, none of us know when that day will come.

I finished the month of June by doing some more trout fishing. I drove over towards the Whittier tunnel where I knew there was a lake that needed to be fished. I believe this body of water is called Tangle lake. I fished this place from the shore a few years ago. I caught about 50 trout there previously. They were not very big but the action was smoking hot. It got to the point where I would use some flies that I normally didn't have much faith in. Even those drew bites.

The lake was somewhat clear. I dropped the boat in and began to try all the likely place. In the end I didn't even manage to get a bite. I'm not sure what was off that day. The contrast in the previous time was incredible. It's a picturesque body of water. There is an amazing amount of sunken timber in there. I could see a glacier from the seat of my boat.

jer2 074.jpg

jer2 081.jpg

jer2 068.jpg

jer2 077.jpg

jer2 080.jpg

I salvaged the day by heading over to Jerome lake to catch some trout and dolly varden. It rained a bit but it wasn't unbearable.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234