Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  46
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Making a long story longer

Monello. thanks for the awesome photography and your stories!

Denny

2. Likes Monello liked this post

Mid July had me thinking about the arrival of the pink salmon to the peninsula. Pinks are easy to catch, willingly take a fly and run in heavy numbers. I knew of an early run in the creek near the town of Hope. I drove up on a pleasant day. I stopped often to get some landscape photos.

hope 032.jpg

I chose a 5 wt and for the leader I just use a short piece of 12 pound mono. The pinks don't seem to be leader shy. Actually they are quite aggressive. As long as I get the fly in the water and it drifts in the current, I stand a good chance of getting a hit.

As it turns out it wasn't the best day to pink salmon fish. I managed 1 fish. The rest of the anglers in the stream weren't doing much better. People who are up on vacation have to fish when they can. I still had half a summer to fish, so I bagged it and went home Or at least I thought I had half a summer left to fish.

As it would turn out things out of my control would modify my summer plans. As I like to say, you have a plan but then life gets in the way.
    Last edited by Monello; 02-22-2019 at 02:35 PM.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I got a bit sidetracked on this thread so here goes some more.

Mid July I went horseback riding. 1 of the other park volunteers had a part time job in town wrangling horses. I got an invite and went. I got the horse that tried to eat every blade of grass in Alaska.

Part of our trail took up past an interesting find. Way back in 1964, an earthquake and subsequent tsunami hit Alaska. Seward got hit hard. The earth buckled and split. The ocean went out and came back with a vengeance. 131 people lost their lives. Back in the woods is a pile of cars that were deposited back there by the rising waters. Those cars have been there, rusting, for over 4 decades. The only thing left is the metal. During the recovery period, vehicles were low on the priority list. I wish I had better pictures of the cars. Perhaps 1 day I'll go back there.

cars.jpg

6. Likes yikes, mcnerney liked this post

Wanting to catch a few more salmon, I took the long drive over to Soldotna where I knew they were catching some fresh sockeyes. I had a little spot that wasn't used by a lot of people and it had convenient parking. The bonus was the in water cleaning station that someone was kind enough to make and share with the rest of us.

I did OK. The fish were fiesty. I used a 9 foot flypole and just let the fly drift down with the current. The regs require a hook with a short gap between the hook point and the hook shaft. It makes it sporting I guess. The reds try their hardest to get off. I got a few on the stringer. They are a combination of strenght and beauty. Those that make it to spawn ill transform into some sort of frankenfish with color changes and body distortions, barely resembling the fish I caught that day.

resized.jpg

Then I got a call that my rental property in Florida required my attention. So I hopped on a plane to take care of that. I'd be gone for almost 3 weeks tying up the loose ends. It was quite a big difference between July temperatures in Seward, AK compared to Jacksonville, FL.

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345