Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murphy, NC

Default Murphy, NC

Rolled into Murphy, NC this past Sunday; rented a cabin on the Hiawassee River - the part we are on, the river is deep and high flow, more than I am experienced to wade anyway. I can do some fishing from the bank but not sure what pattern to use. I asked at a couple local tackle shops in town but those guysíve donít fly-fish. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Murphy, NC

What did they tell you at the tackle shops?
    They would know a lot more about the local fishery than anyone here would.
    Then it's just a matter of translating that information to what you'd need to do to replicated that on the fly rod
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.Ē --- Horace Kephart

They didn’t tell me anything - both places said they knew almost nothing about fly-fishing. I bought some flys just for them visiting with me, but they didn’t really recommend anything.

Sounds like you’re supposed to fish a wooly bugger with some split shot a foot or so above it. I’d probably get size 8 in a couple of different colors and fish em a bunch of different ways. Swing. Dead drift. Twitch. Jig. Strip. And see what happens. Given the description your biggest challenge will be getting the fly down quick and deep.

5. Thanks ratherfish thanked for this post

There are at least two, if not three fly shops in Bryson City. Tuckaseegee being one.
    Mainline the blueline

7. Thanks ratherfish thanked for this post

Although fly fishing in SW NC is somewhat popular, it appears that most of the fly shops in the areas I've fished have closed down. I'm guessing most of the folks that come to fish do a lot of online shopping.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

9. Default Re: Murphy, NC

egg patterns and wooly buggers olive and black

How far are you willing to drive? Some places to consider are Fire's Creek, Big Snowbird Creek, Upper Nantahala (DH), Upper Nantahala (Standing Indian) Deep Creek, Nolan Creek, Tuckaseegee River, and Occonoluftee River. I would call Fly Fish the Smokies (Bryson City) and/or River Edge Outfitters (Cherokee) to ask what areas are fishing the best at the moment.

Bryson City has been working hard to build its reputation as a fly-fishing destination. They designed a fly-fishing trail. You will find real fly shops with knowledgeable people there. The town is also home of the Fly Fishing Museum of the Smoky Mountains. It looks like there is some hard rain in the forecast and that might be a good way to spend an afternoon.

12. Thanks ratherfish thanked for this post
    Likes jayr liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by brook rookie View Post
    They designed a fly-fishing trail.
    Could be wrong but the only fly fishing trail I know of in the area is next door in Jackson County. Fly Fishing Trail | Sylva | North Carolina Trout

However you are correct about the rain. Everything is going to be blown out of the next several days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast