Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Memorial Day fly fishing destination struggle

Greetings everyone,

I'm really struggling to come up with a good fly fishing destination with some nice backcountry camping for myself and two friends for a long weekend over Memorial day. I heard back from a rental vehicle service in Montana today and they told me the waters there can be pretty unpredictable that time of year which has us rethinking Montana. I'm googling for May fly fishing destinations but not coming up with much. Is there any where within a few hrs of a major airport that is good fishing that time of May?

Default Re: Memorial Day fly fishing destination struggle

Rivers anywhere in mountainous areas are going to iffy at best as that’s usually moving well into runoff. On the other hand, since you mentioned backpacking, is still water an option for you? Some high country lakes could be great at that time if they have begun iceoff. (Just be sure you’re adequately prepared as the weather up at altitude will still be unpredictable and likely very cold at night).

Rocky Mountain National Park is under 2 hours from the Denver airport.
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

3. Likes cpiercem liked this post

In my opinion locations with tail waters or spring creeks are your best bet. Do a search for "fly fishing spring creeks in the USA" and see what pops up.

5. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Algonquin park here in Ontario is a great spot for backcountry camping, paddling, and fishing. There's an endless amount of lakes and portages to explore loaded with big brookies. In may you will be able to catch them near the surface too! Only 3 hours from Toronto International airport.
    Danny

7. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    In my opinion locations with tail waters or spring creeks are your best bet. Do a search for "fly fishing spring creeks in the USA" and see what pops up.
    What he said. I will also add that even for the tailwaters, pull up the historical stream flow charts for the period in which you are interested. And make sure you are looking at a stream flow station downstream of the dam. Tailwaters exist because of reservoirs, and reservoirs exist to store water, and discharge their water downtream to various and sundry users. Even in a low snow year, some reservoirs will have a spring flush, sending a lot of water to its downstream users, and fishing can be dicey, and even life-threatening, at those times.

9. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Don’t hesitate to consider the Gibbon and Firehole in Yellowstone for a Memorial Day trip this year. The season opener is going to be a week early – May 25. Typically, the Firehole and Gibbon don’t reach runoff levels until the 1st week in June. They could provide some really good fishing the opening weekend this year. And there's always good early season fishing from tubes in Hebgen, Wade and Cliff lakes just outside the park.
    Strategy without Tactics is a Slow Route To Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the Noise Before Defeat. — Sun Tzu

11. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Don't go where I'm going
    There's no fish there
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

13. Likes tcorfey liked this post

Memorial Day and backcountry are two terms that don't go together well. Trails and forest roads can still be snowcovered or still have deadfalls across them, and weather is often cold and crappy. I suggest finding a tailwater or spring creek lower down and try that. There will be crowds everywhere, though, and campgrounds are often full. I usually stay home and do day trips.

15. Likes cpiercem liked this post

how about north carolina? central pa? or north georgia?

17. Likes cpiercem liked this post

That's prime time in the Catskills. Or for landlocked salmon in Maine.

19. Likes cpiercem liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast