Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  2

Default Recommended guides in Livingston , MT area

Heading to Livingston for a week the first of September and would like to float a couple rivers.. Anyone have any guide and river recommendations?
    Best and thank you

Default Re: Recommended guides in Livingston , MT area

The Yellowstone River should be fishing well at that time. The guys at Sweetwater Fly Shop in Livingston are pretty great.
    There are no flying fish in Montana or Wyoming.

3. Thanks The Whizzer thanked for this post

I’ve never fished with them but why not call Yellowstone angler and talk to them?

Dan Bailey's is a well established Fly Shop in Livingston, they run guided floats. I've never used them, but they've been around for a long time (1938, apparently).
    Tight lines!

6. Thanks The Whizzer thanked for this post

If you are not committed exclusively to floating, it is a good time of year to fish the Northeast section of Yellowstone NP: Lamar, Slough, Soda Butte, etc. No floating, but great wade fishing with terrestrials and a variety of mayflies. There are usually a few more fish than fishers, but it can be a close race sometimes.

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Heck, I live there half the year and I no longer know who the best guides are. I have several friends who used to be terrific guides, but they don't guide anymore and I never use a guide anymore. I do know that the last time I used guides, we used the guides out of Anglers West in Emigrant. The owner, Matson Rogers, is a terrific guide, and the other two guides we used were different but excellent. There are lots of good guides in the area, though, and any of the fly shops can hook you up with a good one.

10. Thanks The Whizzer thanked for this post

My buddy is going to some high speed guide school down there right now. I'm sure he will be done and extremely familiar with the area by September. He lives and breaths fly fishing and was an great angler here in Virginia. I know he will be new, but he's young and hungry to be a high level angler like he was here in VA. Probably get him for a cheaper price and get more bang for the buck. haha. Let me know if you want his contact info.

12. Thanks The Whizzer thanked for this post
  13. Default Re: Recommended guides in Livingston , MT area

I am an outfitter in Livingston and have been guiding the region for 19 years. The Fishing Info portion of my website has a wealth of information for the days you fish on your own.

If you tie, check my Youtube videos for the red Gussied Lightning Bug, pink and flesh Bob Hopper and Bob Hopper 2.0 in #12-14, Brindle Cripple, and Gray Haze Cripple (but tie the purple and copper versions instead of the gray one). My float trip clients probably got upwards of a 300 fish on these patterns in September last year. Best half-day was one teenage kid getting 43 trout on the hopper and Lightning Bug combo while his mom kept track from the back of the raft... While not as uncrowded as a lot of people seem to think (especially the wade fisheries in Yellowstone), it's probably my favorite time to guide provided people are willing to do what the fish tell them to. It is a changeover time so that varies from day to day.
    Owner/Outfitter, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies, River Characters, and Fly Fishing Yellowstone Country.

14. Thanks The Whizzer thanked for this post
    Likes WildTroutDFO liked this post

I have a place at Ennis. Dave McKee is your man in Bozeman, or the guys at Sweetwater Travel. In Ennis, Troutstalkers / Madison River Fishing Co., it's the same excellent management.