Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default Re: I'm looking for adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by cwb124 View Post
    For example last year 4 of us did a 6 day float trip down a remote northern Alaska river. Got dropped off on a gravel bar by a cessna and picked up 25 miles downstream by the same guy.
    If you don't mind me asking what was the river/outfitter for that trip? Sounds like an awesome trip.

2. Default Re: I'm looking for adventure!

Since you said "we," it's a consensus trip. UP Michigan...or

1/Freshwater (sea run fish is fine); Got it

2/Unguided, although I don't mind if they setup a camp and we can go off on our own each day;
    Got it... all you'll need is a good phone with GPS and map

3/Relatively safe locale/government; Got it... though some areas might cause some of your "we" concern

4/No goddamn polar bears; definitely no polar bears

5/Not the tropics ; well it's sub tropics not tropics

1/ Fresh water canals and it's site and sight flyfishing...the Water District's water management canal system
    2/ Map of Dade County showing all fresh water canals and car rental
    3/ It's safe most of the times but lots of people but not fishing but watching... particularly a couple of the good spots are contiguous to shopping centers...you won't hear a loon or see an eagle...you'll hear raucous crows fighting over discarded french fries on the asphalt...you'll see an egret at the edge then about five feet down the edge a floating Quarter Pounder box and a Peacock flash under it...then a six pounder to hand
    4/ No bears but maybe gators or pythons and you can pay for beer if you get a python 4 feet $50 and $25 for each additional foot but definitely fire ants watch your step but at least they don't fly
    5/ Its sub-tropic Dade County and it is Peacock Bass Accommodations Camping with eco vegans or South Beach with eye candy

3. Default Re: I'm looking for adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by cwb124 View Post
    No goddamn polar bears

Almost choked to death when I read that and sipped coffee at the same time. Lol
    the8wtfiasco.com

Three Rivers Fly Fishers
    www.3rff.org

Default Re: I'm looking for adventure!

lol I can deal with grizzlies, as much as I'd prefer not to. But I draw the line at polar bears. Not doing it.

Greenland sounds exciting. I know the char fishing is great. I didn't realize you could DIY there. I know there's some outfitters who will transport you and setup camp and you can walk off and do your own thing. Never considered lining up some private transportation and trying to wing it. Only drawback is the waters are sterile except for the running char so you're only catching char.

Good suggestions so far. Some I never would have considered.

5. Likes k_e_v liked this post
    Western Portal Sequoia National Forest / Kern River.

Solitude in the lower 48 is where you find it. For me it often starts with a pack and the Pacific Crest Trail from the Walker Pass area ( within an hour of my home ) and moving north. Within the many designated Wilderness Areas found on the link below there are countless lakes and streams, native trout species along with introduced & wild trout. As with any lower 48 outdoor adventure, avoiding the most popular scienic areas, trailheads, loops and O&B's will lead to the solitude you're looking for. This area does require stamina and conditioning, it's what keeps the wild parts of these wildernesses, wild.

Central California - Pacific Crest Trail Association

Dave

7. Likes k_e_v, mcnerney liked this post
  8. Default Re: I'm looking for adventure!

Another great suggestion would be to check out the Boundary Waters Canoe Area of northern Minnesota. I went there for the first time last June and it was awesome. Here's my trip report from that trip, although I didn't fly fish as much as I had intended. Report is a bit wordy, but you'll get the idea.

Kilroy Solo Adventure in the Boundary Waters - Jackson Kayak
    the8wtfiasco.com

Three Rivers Fly Fishers
    www.3rff.org

9. Likes smarty140 liked this post

Gotta recommend the S. Fork of the Flathead. More and more people now, with the advent of packrafts, but good outfitters to drop and pluck you, and a fantastic time. 3 day hike in or the worst 8 hours of your life horseback...actually, not ugly til the last 4 or so (I used to have horses growing up, but ya can't train for 24 - 28 miles).

Stay high on the river if you want to milk it for bull trout opportunities. It gets busier down low and you can blow thru pretty quick if you want..

Sidebar - Don't miss the last chance pull out above the Gorge. Looks nothing like the (old) photos until you are too far gone. Always stay river right once midway or so into the rapids, and there is a huge built up rock barrier creating a flat pullout above the Gorge takeout. We missed it, as you may have gathered, but I grabbed an eddy on the left, back hauled the raft up a ways. A great family raft party across the river tossed us a line, saving us a bug hump up to where we could have ferryed. Gov. Steve Bullock's party, it turned out, and his brother was one of the lead rescue heroes.

11. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I had actually looked into the Bob and it's on my list I suppose. Was definitely going to go the route of a horseback trip but I'm not too ecstatic about riding a horse for that length of time. I am getting to the point of adhering to my father's two rules in life: "No dancing, and no horse".

But the fishing opportunities back there might be too attractive to pass up.

13. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by big flounder View Post
    Another great suggestion would be to check out the Boundary Waters Canoe Area of northern Minnesota. I went there for the first time last June and it was awesome. Here's my trip report from that trip, although I didn't fly fish as much as I had intended. Report is a bit wordy, but you'll get the idea.

Kilroy Solo Adventure in the Boundary Waters - Jackson Kayak
    Ditto the BWCA or Quetico. Break and make camp early.

It's truly great information do share more I love fishing especially river fishing is my favorite hobby. According to above details its look costly but I am sure ful enjoyable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast