Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I'm looking for adventure!

Looking for input from folks who can maybe recommend some adventurous fishing trips. I think at some point in 15-20 years I'll do the Orvis lodge where you sip brandy at the end of the day and eat a t-bone prepared by a real chef and get transported back and forth from the river. But I'm not there yet and I crave adventure, solitude/wilderness, and decent fishing. For example last year 4 of us did a 6 day float trip down a remote northern Alaska river. Got dropped off on a gravel bar by a cessna and picked up 25 miles downstream by the same guy. We had tents, rafts, camping and fishing gear and no guide. We were 100% on our own and didn't see a soul. I'm looking for similar but doesn't have to be exactly similar.

Here are some criteria:

Freshwater (sea run fish is fine)
    Unguided, although I don't mind if they setup a camp and we can go off on our own each day
    Relatively safe locale/government
    No goddamn polar bears
    Not the tropics

Weird criteria and I understand it is somewhat limiting but interested in the crowd-source ideas this forum can come up with.

2. Likes k_e_v, mcnerney, dennyk liked this post

Default Re: I'm looking for adventure!

If budget is no issue I can see this getting interesting!

haha guess I forgot that. I can manage a decent sized cost trip every couple years, but for our yearly expedition let's try to keep it sub $3k. I did the above Alaska trip for around $2500. 85% of that was airfare.

There's a guy on another forum that I read that does regular solo kayak adventures into central Labrador.
    Not a lot of expense with a Cabela's 4wt (PIKE!) and bargain barrel lines.
    He drives himself in as far as he can go in his biodiesel truck and then off he goes in his kayak, from watershed to watershed.
    The biggest expense seems to be truck repairs

Plus there's trains that you can take north from major Canadian centers in Quebec and Labrador that will drop off you and your canoes or kayaks off at canoe-tripping waterways along the way

I may have thought about this stuff before
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

6. Likes k_e_v liked this post
    Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your way thru
    Blog Entries

As an older Brandy drinking, T-bone lover I haven't done a lot of research on this place but from what I have seen the Sierra Nevada's look like an awesome place to spend a couple of weeks. Admittedly, my knowledge is limited but from what I have seen you can get pretty remote and the scenery is stunning. Maybe its time to load up the backpacks and get lost for 10-14 days

Will be following this thread and seeing what cool ideas are presented,
    kev

8. Likes dennyk, flyminded, myt1 liked this post

Do Yellowstone backcountry. Get a permit and set out from the Bechler ranger station. Or, head over to the Wind River range in the Pinedale area. Both are remote and wild. The Wind River Range is spectacular. Both require some level of fitness and both will put you in bear country. Neither is expensive per se.

I do solo trips during the summer. Many times its "just" YNP since its my backyard, but I've also done the WY and UT Cuttslams, the IFFF CuttCatch, and then this summer I am going after the "rarest trout in NA", the Paiute CT. For me its the adventure, skinny water, and my 2wt or 3wt. Almost always, I have the waters to myself, and great dryfly action. Just about every state in the West has some sort of fishing recoginition program. If you don't care about the certificate/coin/hat, then just use it as a guide. None of my trips are ever over $300.

11. Likes Redrock, mcnerney, flyminded liked this post
    Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your way thru
    Blog Entries

Okay so my first reply was a little weak so in the spirit of the “I am looking for adventure” tagline to this thread let me offer Greenland

My case, Relatively cheap to get there, no private property so you can hike and camp almost anywhere for free, a very friendly and helpful local population that will help your DIY adventure, fireside roasting of fresh char for streamside meals in the land of the midnight sun , several local outfitters that specialize in helping adventurers with boat or planes trips around the country to move you from place to place as there is no real road system and the polar bears are up north in Greenland not where you would be.

Okay that’s it, share pics when you get back

Kevin

13. Likes mcnerney, flyminded liked this post

Paddle and portage Algonquin's back country. Some beaufitul scenery and big brookies scattered throughout the system, also lakes with rainbows, lake trout, and splake. Some of the worst black flies and mosquitos you will ever encounter in the spring and into mid summer, but it's an adventure! At least look into it!

A map showing paddle routes, fish species, highlights etc...
    Jeff's Algonquin Provincial Park Map
    Last edited by huronfly; 02-26-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    Danny

15. Likes mcnerney, k_e_v, iv_wjb liked this post
    Blog Entries

Lots of great ideas for an adventure fishing trip. Here is a link that will provide some help if interested in hiking/fishing the Wind River Range. Best to plan a trip up there in July or later, due to the snow pack.
    Wind River Range Trip Planning

For trips into YNP backcountry, you can put in for the drawing, but the deadline is the end of Mar, so you still have some time to put in for a campsite. The other option is too just show up at one of the backcountry offices and see what permits they have available.
    Here is the link for information on backcountry camping in YNP: Backcountry Camping - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Here is an example of what hiking/backcountry camping is like in YNP:

Here is a link to all of his YouTube hiking trips, maybe something there would suit you better:
    YouTube

Another idea is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. You can float this, if you have the skills to handle class III/IV whitewater. Or there are several hiking trails down into the canyon, but it's not for the faint of heart. If you want to do this, then watch the flow out of Crystal reservoir.

Edit: Another option would be to hike in or get an outfitter to take you in and float the Smith River, MT. It requires a permit and unfortunately, the application closed Feb 14, but maybe this is something to plan for next year.
    Montana State Parks :: Smith River
    Larry

17. Likes k_e_v, Redrock, flyminded liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast