Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Default Float trip for dad and 2 sons, mild river flows, ideas?

Hey guys, im new here, thought id reach out to some experienced fisherman in hopes for putting together a fun time with my boys. So i welcome all advice and ideas.

Its time for a busy dad to take the boys on a real fishing trip, we've had enough of baseball for the last 5 years!. Im wanting to plan a float fishing road trip with my 15 yr old and 12 yr old boys.

I live in st. George utah and want to drive from there to some good rivers and fish for a 4 or 5 day trip.

Money is tight, so i cant hire a guide or drift boat, this will be a DIY trip and we love camping in tents.

A little background...

I have fished utahs green river a few times and wade fished the provo river... ive never floated the provo but, wade fished it a lot.

Im concerned that the green river south of flaming gorge may be too rough for my two boys in their pontoons, so i dont think we'll be floating that one.

We have 3 pontoon boats, (2 are bucks bags high adventure, one is a 9ft sportsmans warehouse one).

I have floated the snake river white water south of elbow campground thru the main rapids of lunch counter and kahuna, back in college and have an understanding of how to navigate the waters, etc. But i dont want my boys near that kind of stuff and im not as crazy as i once was to hit that part of the snake, this will be their introduction to floating rivers, and im looking for some safer floating and more fishing opportunities.

I had someone suggest floating the bighorn in montana, because its great fishing and slow river flows, but its a pretty long drive from home. I thought of driving to provo utah, float the provo river, then hit strawberry reservoir for a day (we like lakes too), then drive north to wyoming, or idaho, or Montana, then back home. There is also the sevier river in utah, but i dont know anything about floating it or fishing it.l, but its only a few hours from home. Another option is to go east and hit the san juan (only 6 hour drive from home), and some areas along that area.

We are looking at something in july or early august, before they go back to school.

Anyway, what rivers would you recommend for us? Im a fly tier and will make the flies with my boys for the waters we fish. I have relatives in idaho falls and afton wyoming, but they dont fish much and dont have a lot of river fish experience, but its a place to lay a head...any good rivers that way that wouldnt be to dangerous?

Ill take any advice! The adventure is as much fun as anything for us. Thx guys

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Float trip for dad and 2 sons, mild river flows, ideas?

How about fishing the Green river in Wyoming, below Fontenelle reservoir the water is perfect for beginner floaters. There are virtually no hazards and most of the land is BLM and there are three designated campgrounds that are free, but you can camp virtually any where. The three campgrounds have picnic tables, fire rings and vault toilets, but no water.
    Larry

4. Likes k_e_v liked this post

I've floated the Green between the dam and little hole. This was before the runoff in early spring so can't tell you what it would be like July or Aug with the runoff. There were 3 good drops between the dam and little hole. I'd say at the time a Class 3 rapid. Just have to sit back and study the water for a minute and pick your run. I floated it in a one man Classic Accessories Colorado with no problem. It pretty much takes the whole day to float from the dam to the take out if you stop and fish. I think it's about 7 miles. If the flows are up two of those drops could easily become Class 5 rapids. Larry's suggestion might be the better option if the runoff hangs around through your time frame.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Larry and kevin, thank you for the replies...this is very helpful and looks like a great place to bring my boys and have a lot of fun! Already mapping out a plan!

7. Likes kevind62 liked this post

That's a nice stretch of river, easy drift. Very few trees, so bring your own shade or at least plenty of sunscreen.

9. Likes 1fish liked this post

Lees Ferry is 4 hrs from you . There are services to get up river . I used to fish and camp mid river all the time when I lived in Toquerville .
    Thread Killer