Late June Weekend Colorado Trip Recommendations

sonoflars

Reaction score
I'm headed with 2 buddies to Colorado for a weekend, June 21-23. None of us have been out there to fish. I'm a proficient fly fisher, but my two friends are novices. We are planning to hike, camp and fish. We are open to backpacking or car camping. We get into Denver at 6:30 am on Friday and leave at 10:30 pm on Sunday.

My priorities are 1) place where my friends can catch fish (i.e. not too technical), 2) beautiful scenery and 3) a bit of solitude. I almost always fish rivers/creeks, so I'd prefer that over lakes (I wouldn't be able to help my friends up the learning curve in a lake).

I've looked at several options: Deckers, RMNP, Cache La Poudre, Frying Pan, Gore Creek, Indian Peaks Wilderness. I'm blown away by all of the options. I imagine late June means that we are likely to need to stay sub alpine? I would really appreciate any help narrowing down my options. Thanks!

el jefe

Reaction score
There is a very good chance that the rivers will be blown out at that time. There is still a lot of snow in the high country.

sonoflars

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I figured that might be the case. Given that is likely, are there places that are likely to be in better shape than others? Would you recommend any tail waters?

benglish

Reaction score
Tail-waters will be a "show" (especially weekends) during that time of year with what looks to be about 140% snow-pack they will be the only game in town. I am literally at a loss for what to recommend on the front range/corridor during that time of year. I will be putting my pontoon on Northern Colorado/Wyoming lakes and heading north to larger tail-waters with floating in mind.

sonoflars

Reaction score
It sounds like we might have to do the drive to the Frying Pan. If anyone else has suggestions, I'd appreciate it.