Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Taylor River (Colorado)

First post on these forums and excited to become part of the community.

I'm heading out with a few buddies to fish the Taylor River + its tributaries the weekend of July 5-7. We're all based in Colorado Springs and typically fish the South Platte, but are looking to start exploring the Gunnison.

Any tips for fishing the Taylor? Of the tributaries which ones are your favorite?

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: Taylor River (Colorado)

Welcome to the forum. Several CO folks on here that may chime in and treat you to some info.

Tip: Go to the "Member Introduction" page on the forum and give a brief intro of yourself.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Blog Entries

Welcome. The only tip I can offer with great confidence, and likely the one of most importance, is to watch the flow rates....the Gunnison basin amongst several other areas received: 5,000 + % of normal annual snowfall....(You did not read that incorrectly) the runoff has just begun, but will not be in full swing for another 2 1/2 - 3 weeks + and already is having flood effects and two white water rafters have died so far. With several of the ski resorts still open and 9-18"s still standing at base for "spring" skiing (where it normally would be 0"s)...the big wave of runoff has not hit, based on your timeline, I'd speculate unless you target tributaries you will have a great sightseeing trip with no opportunity to wade. Unless we get a devil's breath heat wave and all heck breaks loose earlier....it's going to be a flippin, flooding, muddy, mess until mid-late July at best.

I fished the Taylor over this past Memorial weekend. We were lucky to have gotten there before the serious runoff, which I am guessing is in full swing now, but the flow rates were already pretty high. The reservoir was not yet at capacity but my guess is they were already ramping up to deal with the warmer temps and heavy snow melt. As such, we were very much challenged to find wading-friendly water all the way down to Almont. That being said, we had good success at the headwaters, finding the fish in the more obvious pocket water. I was told it was crowded, but apparently Colorado (and the West in general) have different definitions of what constitutes a crowd. Having fished almost shoulder to shoulder in some Eastern waters, I was pleasantly surprised when a guy asked if I minded him fishing about 50 yards downstream from me.

As you likely know, the Gunnison is not flow-controlled and will likely be very challenging. My guide (out of Three Rivers) claims it will still be fish-able by float, but you can expect to anchor more and fish specific areas rather than constantly moving.

Good luck and post up a report when you get done!
    Steve H

Blog Entries

As of today:

Rockies Snow Pack

Thanks guys, being an avid skier out here I'm definitely aware of the snow pack. it's been a wild winter and spring! I've been following the Division of Water Resources on an almost daily basis to watch the flows out there.

I've been digging into the tributaries to see which ones are best for us to fish. Regardless, I think we'll learn a lot. We typically fish 11 Mile, the Dream Stream, and some of the other spots along that portion of the South Platte...so we typically have pretty slow flows.

Quote Originally Posted by cooutlaw View Post
    As of today:

Rockies Snow Pack
    It was certainly a heavy snow year, but what those figures reflect is that the snow hasn't really started to melt yet, so the % of average for this date is exceedingly high.
    Zackdog lives.

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by triggw View Post
    It was certainly a heavy snow year, but what those figures reflect is that the snow hasn't really started to melt yet, so the % of average for this date is exceedingly high.
    Yep, that's a good point. Though the flows are pretty wild right now. The Gunnison is 12,000 CFS near Grand Junction today and is flowing at 5,000 through a good portion of it. The Taylor is at 1,600 right now.

However, the 53000% makes it sound much more wild than it actually is. The snow pack is currently around 8.5 inches in the area that flows into the Gunnison. The median during this time of the year is like 1/10 of an inch. It's pretty easy to get an absurd number when the median snowpack is essentially a rounding error itself.

11. Likes el jefe liked this post
    Blog Entries

Yup. All true. Point of illustration though is simply the melt isn't fully completed yet....and with, as mentioned, about 9" snow pack existing around G flow area.... we haven't capped out in runoff....and when it comes......let's just say there will be plenty of water and it will arrive later than usual. Stirring the pot up should muddy & high flow deter us for a bit, but later season should be lovelier than usual. Be safe out there folks.

Quote Originally Posted by cooutlaw View Post
    Yup. All true. Point of illustration though is simply the melt isn't fully completed yet....and with, as mentioned, about 9" snow pack existing around G flow area.... we haven't capped out in runoff....and when it comes......let's just say there will be plenty of water and it will arrive later than usual. Stirring the pot up should muddy & high flow deter us for a bit, but later season should be lovelier than usual. Be safe out there folks.
    For sure, I'm selfishly holding out hope that the weather over the next three weeks cooperates for some slower flows the weekend of the 5th.

I have a feeling we'll be a few weeks too early though. Back in April folks were predicting that July could be pretty ideal on the Taylor, but winter just didn't want to stop.

Would Lake Fork be a better alternative if we get out there and the Taylor is blown out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast