Utah Family Trip

CWFlies

Reaction score
So the family wants to do a trip to Solitude, Utah as my mom was gifted a trip by someone who has a house there. The owner said there is good fishing on the Provo river. Anyone have any experience they can share fishing this river? I'm a FL boy who has only been trout fishing twice so my game is lacking. Any advise would be very helpful. If there is a different body of water that would be way better i'd love to hear about it. We were also going to drive up to yellowstone one day and probably do some fishing in the park. I don't know how much though as the family will want to see wildlife and do other things as well.

kevind62

Reaction score
It would help to know when you'll be there,how many days, and how far you're willing to drive to fish on a day trip. As far as trying to see the sights and wildlife in the park and fish, that's not going to leave a lot of time for one or the other unless you can break free from the family and fish while they see the sights and catch back up with them later.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
As Kevin says, the timing really doesn’t work out with the distances and time involved. It’s more than six hour driving time from Provo to even get to the park. Everything is spread out and summer traffic in the park is such that a full day is required just to hit the most well known spots and sights. And even though there is a ton of great fishing places, I can tell you from experience that non fishing family members are going to get restless if you take a couple hours to rig up and find a spot.

The Provo River isn’t comparable in terms of fishing, but I would probably focus my fishing there while the family can relax in the house. Even without kids, my atttempts to combine family sightseeing trips with fishing have always been a disaster.

But if you were thinking of going round trip to the park from Provo in one day that just isn’t gong to happen.

Don