California Late September - Early October. Travelling from the UK

lock4ward

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm travelling from the UK doing the 'tourist' trip from Los Angeles - San Francisco, then across through Yosemite in an RV.

Looking for advice on getting through your customs with fly fishing gear & flies, and advice on what to bring and anything else worth knowing any good places to fish etc!

Have had experience of Australian, South African and New Zealand customs

runningfish

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and to California.

I think you should be fine with the fishing stuffs with the customs. They might going to ask you if you are going to sell or leave them in the States.

There is no trout fishing in LA, save it for Yosemite. When you are in SF drive a bit more to Sacramento about 1.5 hours. You'll find The American and Sacramento River, Feather and Yuba just around downtown Sac. Resident rainbow, steelhead, stripers, etc.

acorad

Reaction score
Basically every river/creek/blueline in the Sierra has fish, especially after the last three years of winter rains.

Andy

kevind62

Reaction score
I've traveled in and out of the US with my fly fishing gear with no issues. Flying that distance I'd recommend taking your fly rod as a carry-on. All your other gear should be fine in checked baggage. I never trust my rod or landing net in checked baggage. I always take it as carry-on. I stuff my net in my backpack and zip it up around it then tie the two zippers together. I've flown from LHR and AMS through Atlanta, Denver, Salt Lake City, and San Francisco with my gear and never had any issues.