Northern California this Weekend

jrhurt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am trying to plan a trip from San Francisco this weekend and am hoping to get some advice. Any help is appreciated. Here is my situation:

- I will be renting a car on Friday evening in San Francisco and returning it on Monday evening.
- Other than leaving/returning to San Francisco, I have nothing booked and am open to heading anywhere within a reasonable distance.
- If I don't get any other guidance, I am looking at basing myself out of Redding.
- I will only have a 7'6 3 weight with me. I am considering buying a 6 weight soon but haven't yet and don't really want to rush into a decision just for this weekend. I live in Colorado and mostly fish small creeks.
- I will be wading.
- My main goal is spend some time someplace scenic, do some hiking, and maybe catch a fish or two. I would rather get skunked someplace beautiful than catch a bunch of big trout in a city.
- As much as possible, I am trying to make this a DIY trip rather than hire a guide. Although I might be open to getting a guide for one of the days.

Does anyone have any general advice, or areas that might work out better for me? It looks like most of the rivers that are open right now are big and wading won't really be an option. I am hoping to find something small that I can treat as more of a hike/adventure. I know this is a really vague question, but figured I would ask around.

Thank you.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Based on your rod choice and other criteria, I would recommend the Upper Sacramento River between Dunsmuir and Pollard Flat. Easy access and easy wading for the most part, places to hike, etc. Stay in the town of Mt Shasta or Dunsmuir. There is construction on the highway in North Dunsmuir so Mt Shasta might be better. The upper Sac fishes good in the winter. Mostly rainbows. The biggest drawback is the railroad and highway 5 border the river so you do have noise from both things. No cities only small towns and light industry.

Call the Fly Shop in Redding for up to date reports.

Regards,

Tim C.

jrhurt

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. That is looking like the best option and fairly easy to figure out access.

Thank you.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Jim, FYI - McCloud is closed until end of April and Putah Creek while open is currently having a Rainbow spawn (Nov-Feb and the hatch cycle averages 50 days) so I recommend leaving it alone until at least the end of March for fear of stepping on the Redds and destroying the eggs or the alevins.

Regards,

Tim C.

jrhurt

Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying Tim. When I started my research, a website showed that the upper Sacramento was also closed right now. Luckily your original reply caused me to do more research because it looks perfect for me.

Bigfly

Reaction score
You're right of course Tim....I fish all the time, so I lose track of things. Was thinking close to bay on Puta, not spawn time.
I was thinking elevation, sparse snow below 5000 ft. So there are options...
Lower Sac is a good call. Yuba too....Skwala are going.....

Jim

Last edited:

jrhurt

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I ended up on the upper Sacramento and had a great weekend. It was deeper and quicker than it looked in many spots, but I was able to find a few good wading spots that worked with a 3 at.

I stopped at Ted Fay fly shop and he was great, helped me plan out a good couple of days. I would highly recommend. It was a great experience and I caught a few fish.