Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Yakutat Area Coho's

Hi guys !

Been a while since I don't get back to the forum !

This year, it will be 7 years from the very first trip to Pulaski NY, and for 2021 or 2022, if my finances allow it, I'd like to try at last Alaska.

Ok, not the Hardcore Alaska like Bristol Bay or Alagnak area; but SE Alaska, Yakutat area, a little more affordable.

I would like to change species, and try coho fishing.

I made some research, it seems like mid to late sept is a good choice to fish Situk River.

I have some questions, if some of you guys know the area:

- Flight: Only from Juneau to Yakutat ? ( I come from France so it will be fisrt Madrid or Paris to Seattle, and Seattle Juneau > Yakutat)

- Lodging: Some good affordable places (not necesery a fishing lodge, I saw on Air B'n'B some good options) I saw some lodges rent some drift boat ?

- Car renting ? Nothing on the Web, any idea of the price for one week ?

- Fly out to the Italio river , any idea of the price ?

Tips and advices would be really appreciate !

Thanks !

Blog Entries

Default Re: Yakutat Area Coho's

Hi Ben,

Flights to Yak originate in Anchorage also so have a look. Yakutat is a small village so I doubt you will rent an auto. Situk is a small river so if you want to float get a boat with guide unless you are good with oars. I don't go down there because all of the first hand reports I have ever had speak of crowded conditions, again small river.........

Silver salmon have become as unpredictable as our Kings and most easily accessed waters in South Central and South East are somewhat crowded. Better to spend for the fly out to a more remote spot if you can swing it. Look at Tal Vista Lodge and if you contact them tell Chris or Sara that Ard told you to call.

I used to do silver camps but no longer offer that. It was as affordable as a 5 day trip could be. If you stay with Yakutat just keep searching for the best sounding trip.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Hey Ard;

Good to hear from you.

Ok, I will take a look also from Anchorage. I'm not very good withs oars, but my friend do, so it's ok.

Crowded is relative... and depends on what uou call crowded. Salmon River NY (DSR part) is ok for me , maybe way too crowded for many.... It's OK if there are other boats, but I clearly want to avoid shoulder to shoulder like Kenai or American River... From videos I saw, Situk is OK...

TalVista lodge look really awesome, and not so far from big airport (Anchorage) but clearly out of my budget (Is it this one ? Talvista Lodge - South Central Alaska | My Alaskan Fishing Trip)

Maybe there are other accomodation on the Talachitina ?

Thanks for your help Ard

Blog Entries

A few years ago I was still doing camps on Skwentna River which put us 3 miles from prime fishing. I was doing that for $3.400 for 2 fishermen I think .... I forget but it was affordable. That was the cheapest quality fishing in Alaska and I couldn't get a steady enough flow to make it work. It was however a lot of work setting things up so people would be comfortable for the week.

I have a cabin 28 miles from that river but will not drive people back and forth daily. The Skwentna River is too dangerous for too many trips. That's why I started doing the camps. I needed 8 people for 5 days each to make it profitable. I guess people thought it was too much money.......

This is how I set things up, there were table - chairs and a large rain canopy that are not in the photo.

I supplied everything at that price which as you see from the lodge website I was very much a great deal but I had very few takers.... The years passed I got older and now I do camps for myself but no more client work.

You may be very happy down on the Situk I hope so.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors