Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Betsie River Trip

@thirdcoaststeeheader, Were you fishing at the dam or downriver? You do use USGS for monitoring water levels right?

The Betsie is a beautiful river and imo, one to stay far away from September through end of October. The salmon fishing there is crazier than any other place.

I stopped by the dam early September, the salmon hadn't really gotten going strong yet. Must've been 40 cars in the lot at least, probably closer to 60. I didn't even gear up, I just walked down to where you can fish by the dam. I counted over 30 people fishing just in my field of view, that doesn't include people standing around not fishing. That's not turning my head and looking downstream. It's a zoo, with all the animals that come with it. I just turned and left. Drove past a couple downstream bridges, 3-4 cars at each. Smh, next river.

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
    Zombie salmon and dams bring out the damned...but if they eat zombies fine but at the Manistee dam and wherever snagers can cast I've hooked steel with snag cuts...at least they are released at least those that I have caught...however, since old and need guide and boat I prefer the ambiance, admittedly somewhat elitist, the regulated Pere Marquette...where there's no combat snaging or at least when and where I go...which is after salmon for Steel...whilst the Betsie vid that was posted is disgusting that times 10 in quantity is Tipy dam on the Manistee during Zombie time. I fished it once but never again. But then there is the Grand River in Michigan which allows chumming for Steel...but there are wonderful west coast rivers and streams also ...the upper Manistee, Little Manistee, Pere Marquette, Baldwin, and the best the Pine
    You are aware, no steel or salmon in the Pine R. Great trout river. I don't fish that enough.

3. Default Re: Betsie River Trip

Yes as to the Pine all wild no Steel or Salmon...but I'm too old to wade the Pine and very limited choice of guides who have Permit access and time to fish the good conditions...fished the upper but I quit wading it when I turned 70...

What about the Boardman? I lived in Traverse for 1 yr and caught steelies and even lake trout in the lower Boardman and I remember no crowds and no jerks, but that was 1988....and below the 2nd dam I dont think I ever saw anyone!

I fished the Homestead to 31 stretch. The flow was strong and the water levels were higher than usual.

This was my third time there this year. The first was for spring steelhead. Then, I found an early push of kings in mid-August when the river was empty of people. I didn't intend to fish salmon during the August trip but found them moving through, jumping the dam, so gave it a go. The fish looked like they had just entered the river system.

Quote Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
    @thirdcoaststeeheader, Were you fishing at the dam or downriver? You do use USGS for monitoring water levels right?

The Betsie is a beautiful river and imo, one to stay far away from September through end of October. The salmon fishing there is crazier than any other place.

I stopped by the dam early September, the salmon hadn't really gotten going strong yet. Must've been 40 cars in the lot at least, probably closer to 60. I didn't even gear up, I just walked down to where you can fish by the dam. I counted over 30 people fishing just in my field of view, that doesn't include people standing around not fishing. That's not turning my head and looking downstream. It's a zoo, with all the animals that come with it. I just turned and left. Drove past a couple downstream bridges, 3-4 cars at each. Smh, next river.
    I fished the Homestead to 31 stretch. The flow was strong and the water levels were higher than usual.

This was my third time there this year. The first was for spring steelhead. Then, I found an early push of kings in mid-August when the river was empty of people. I didn't intend to fish salmon during the August trip but found them moving through, jumping the dam, so gave it a go. The fish looked like they had just entered the river system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12