Help with a trip to Boundary Waters

tbiii

Reaction score
Hey folks-

I'm working with a few friends on a trip to Boundary Waters this summer- as of right now, the calendar's wide open, can anyone recommend a best time to go between June and August? Also, anyone know or recommend and guides or outfitters, or anywhere I can get a detailed map of the area from?

Thanks!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
The earlier in the season you can go the less bugs and heat you will have to deal with. I have some family that go there yearly and they shoot for late spring for the best weather conditions.

Here's a couple of links to outfitters near there
Boundary Waters Fishing

MN Guided Fly-Fishing Trips Ely Minnesota - Midwest Fly-Fishing Vacations - Moose Track Adventures Guide Service
We haven't had real heat problems for several years now. It has not topped 80 more than a few times in years. I'm not sure there is ever a time where there are not a ton of miserable little bugs. I discover annoying new insect life nearly every year. Just when I think I've experianced every horrible insect attack possible, we get a gigantic hatch of some horrible bug I've never seen before. Bring Deet. I'd plan the trip for the best time to fish. Spring up here is incredible. Go at least a week or two after opener, because opener about half the time this far North can be a snowy miserable mess. Or like 2 out of the last 3 years, still have ice on the lakes. The Smallies will still be shallow, and so will the Pike and Walleye. By your time table, make it June 1st. I'd still bring warm clothes. You can find guides around, check out the Ely yellow pages, but a good map, GPS and a little study will do you as much good as a guide. If you are thinking of trout fishing there, a guy named Shawn Perich wrote a book that has a bunch of fly patterns for the area, and good info on trout fishing there. I think it was called flies of the arrowhead. I found a site for him, but not the book. it has a contact spot.
North Shore Press: Hovland Minnesota Book Publisher

arkman

Reaction score
You'll have a blast. I'd say the earlier in the season the better. We've gone up the last couple years middle of june and the bugs haven't been bad and the fishing good. Don't count on no bugs though.

If you go out of Ely check out Voyageur North Outfitters. VNorth.com I think. Lynn is awesome!

I'm not sure if its ok but I'm going to direct you to bwca.com. Not necessary a fishing site, certainly not a fly site but they have some good maps. They have a google map with all the entry points, camps, and portages on there. Some really great people that can answer all the bwca questions you have.

setsail

Reaction score
Our favorite time of the year for going out in BWCA is the end of May before memorial day and heavier traffic...we've been the second ones out from Ely when the season opens and had a great time...nary a bug. Opener is the 14th, you can go out May 1st.

rockriver

Reaction score
If your already into canoeing, I'd skip the guide services. Dan offers some excellent advice in his post. Most importantly, is plan it out and you'll have a great time.