Nebraska fly fishing.

oaktree

Reaction score
I will be doing some fly fishing in two week around Sydney, Ne. First time up there and would like to know what flies would be good to use around that time? Looking at fishing for trout.

NDflyfisher

Reaction score
Keep driving to the Black Hills of SD. Lots of small streams with mostly browns and a smaller numbers of bows. Brookies in the headwaters.

oaktree

Reaction score
Keep driving to the Black Hills of SD. Lots of small streams with mostly browns and a smaller numbers of bows. Brookies in the headwaters.
That will be a trip i will take down the road. In the mean time i am seeing some family friends in Nebraska and try out some fly fishing.

chased

Reaction score
If by Sydney, you mean Sidney (home of Cabela's) in the panhandle of Western Nebraska, you are in luck! I live in Sidney and frequent the waters within about a 100 mile radius. There is just about everything if you are willing to make a short drive. About 80 miles east there is Lake Mac which is fed by the North Platte, Then That feeds into Lake Ogalalla, then that feeds back into the North Platte and NPPD Supply Canal. There is pretty good trout fishing to be had in Ogalalla, several rainbows nearing 10lbs have been pulled out of the North Platte below Lake Ogallala and the average fish is arround 16 inches, but it is not uncommon to catch several over 20 inches in a single outing but it is hit and miss. 40 miles north of Sidney there is Bridgeport, which has several spring fed sand pit lakes that are stocked with a ton of trout but they aren't very big, but there are monster bass and pan fish to be had there. In Sidney itself there isn't much besides the city pond, which has pan fish, small bass, catfish, and is stocked with trout. There are a few 5+ pouders in there. If you're up to the challenge, I could take out out to some farm land owned by my family. The Lodgepole creek runs through it, and there are monster carp. Caught a 17lber in there just the other day. Shoot me a PM and hopefully we will be able to hook up!

Chase

chased

Reaction score
A bead head wooly bugger or bead chain/hourglass eyed crayfish as big as a size 6 in olive, black, or brown will catch just about anything that swims around here. If you want to fish a dry, a size 14-20 bwo or 10-14 foam beetle or spider is sure to catch something. Nymph wise, I normally use a size 14 or 16 bead head price or hares ear. There isn't a huge populations of fly fishers in this neck of the woods, so the fish normally too aren't hesitant to take a fly.

chased

Reaction score
Lake Ogallala has been doing really good with rainbow trout as usual. Wipers and carp can be found but it takes some work. I would recommend you go down to the North Platte river and NPPD conversion canal below the keystone dam. The river has been running around 1500 cfs and there are A LOT of huge rainbows to be had. If you have any questions feel free to PM or post here.

coldwater55

Reaction score
The river below the diversion dam is one of my favorite places to fish,that is like Home Water to me.Should be a good place to break in my new Scott 6wt.

woodyr

Reaction score
If by Sydney, you mean Sidney (home of Cabela's) in the panhandle of Western Nebraska, you are in luck! I live in Sidney and frequent the waters within about a 100 mile radius. There is just about everything if you are willing to make a short drive. About 80 miles east there is Lake Mac which is fed by the North Platte, Then That feeds into Lake Ogalalla, then that feeds back into the North Platte and NPPD Supply Canal. There is pretty good trout fishing to be had in Ogalalla, several rainbows nearing 10lbs have been pulled out of the North Platte below Lake Ogallala and the average fish is arround 16 inches, but it is not uncommon to catch several over 20 inches in a single outing but it is hit and miss. 40 miles north of Sidney there is Bridgeport, which has several spring fed sand pit lakes that are stocked with a ton of trout but they aren't very big, but there are monster bass and pan fish to be had there. In Sidney itself there isn't much besides the city pond, which has pan fish, small bass, catfish, and is stocked with trout. There are a few 5+ pouders in there. If you're up to the challenge, I could take out out to some farm land owned by my family. The Lodgepole creek runs through it, and there are monster carp. Caught a 17lber in there just the other day. Shoot me a PM and hopefully we will be able to hook up!

Chase
I live down in Peetz, CO right near you. I am newer to fly fishing and am looking for some help. Can I get in contact with you somehow?