Fall Fly Fishing ND

rjsac09

Reaction score
My buddies and I are going to be heading to the Medina area in ND this fall for some waterfowl hunting and I was curious if I should throw my fly rod in given the opportunity at some point to get the line wet. Fairly new to trout fishing, but have been fly casting for quite a few years so I am always looking to catch a fish some place new.

Thanks!

rjsac09

Reaction score
If you don't get any replies, send a PM to NDFlyfisher, he might be able to help.

Larry
Thanks Larry. I am sure someone could at least tell me whether to pack the rod or not. I probably will anyways, but wouldn't mind knowing what to expect. Not sure how much time I will have to get the line wet since we hope to hit the ducks and geese pretty heavy!

Thanks!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Larry. I am sure someone could at least tell me whether to pack the rod or not. I probably will anyways, but wouldn't mind knowing what to expect. Not sure how much time I will have to get the line wet since we hope to hit the ducks and geese pretty heavy!

Thanks!
Sounds like a fun hunting trip, I'd pack a fly rod just in case you see some inviting stream nearby.

Larry

dakotakid

Reaction score
I grew up and fished a lot in Southwestern ND, so I don't have specific knowledge of lakes and ponds in the Medina area. Don't expect to find any trout streams, they just don't exist in that part of the country. The most common fish in ND are panfish (perch, sunfish, crappie, etc.), Northern pike, walleye, and some bass.

Fly fishing isn't very common there, but pack a rod anyway. Your best bet is to ask the landowners, where you will be hunting, what fish are in local ponds and lakes and then pack accordingly.

Good luck!

NDflyfisher

Reaction score
I just came across this thread. The Medina area of the state doesn't have trout. Pike in the area lakes will be good in the fall. Fall pike fly fishing in ND can be great, you can get into some really big ones. Bring an 8wt some generic subsurface pike flies, saltwater poppers and steel tippet. For trout you would need to go below Garrison dam on the Missouri River but that's a haul from Medina. As for the waterfowl we are in a wet cycle and the duck/goose hunting the last few years has been amazing to say the least. You will not be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjsac09

Reaction score
Re: Fall Fly Fishing ND
I just came across this thread. The Medina area of the state doesn't have trout. Pike in the area lakes will be good in the fall. Fall pike fly fishing in ND can be great, you can get into some really big ones. Bring an 8wt some generic subsurface pike flies, saltwater poppers and steel tippet. For trout you would need to go below Garrison dam on the Missouri River but that's a haul from Medina. As for the waterfowl we are in a wet cycle and the duck/goose hunting the last few years has been amazing to say the least. You will not be disappointed.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll throw the rod in just in case I get a chance throughout the week to get some lines wet. Like I said our main focus will be waterfowl, but if for some reason we have an afternoon without hunting or scouting I will be hitting the water for some hammer handles!

kevind62

Reaction score
My buddies and I are going to be heading to the Medina area in ND this fall for some waterfowl hunting and I was curious if I should throw my fly rod in given the opportunity at some point to get the line wet. Fairly new to trout fishing, but have been fly casting for quite a few years so I am always looking to catch a fish some place new.

Thanks!
I guess I'd have to ask, where are you coming from? I live on the AL gulf coast. I bird and deer hunt several areas of the Midwest and upper Midwest (Dakotas). When I go up I like to take "the scenic routes". I usually try to plan an extra day or so to stop somewhere and do something new each trip up. Since I've started fly fishing I'm planning on a stop near Rapid City in a few weeks when I go up and trout fish for a day or two before heading up to northern ND for an annual hunt we do. Might stop in southern MO or northern AR on the way back and hit a couple spots in the Ozarks.

I'm an expat so I only get 6 months paid vacation a year so it's difficult for me to plan anything. :lol2: