Pretty Good Brown

smilingduck

Reaction score
Great job Brock that's a beauty. My daughter is 6 and I took her to the park today for her first casting lesson, she liked it and wants to try again. How old was Brock when you first got him casting? Good job Dad!

Dylan

ontheflymn

Reaction score
Dylan, I got my son going by age 7, but it was very guided and under controlled circumstances. Get her out on a lake with some open water and eager panfish, just to get some of the basic casting down.

My son caught his first trout last year solo, but it wasn't easy for him to get to that point. Fly casting and retrieving is two-handed. Often, the youngsters don't have the motor skills to be very proficient when it comes to fishing a stream.

smarty140

Reaction score
That sure is a beautiful brown and a great start to spring.

I was down in the Red Wing and Wabasha area this weekend doing some preseason scouting for turkey hunting and a bit of fishing - from the looks of it, you must have either been quite a bit south of where I was or know where the only clear water was in the northern area.

The water was still fine on Saturday, and I managed to catch a few fish in the short time we fished between checking hunting areas... even managed to catch a little brown on my very first cast of the year in MN!

Sunday was another story. Every stream was chocolate brown from the snow melting overnight and into the morning. Hopefully there isn't too much rain in the next 10 days so things are cleared up by the time we're down there for turkey hunting... I think I look forward to afternoon fishing as much as the morning hunts!

ryan

ontheflymn

Reaction score
Ryan,

We didn't get hit that hard further south with the last barrage of snow. As of right now, we don't have much at all, so the streams are running pretty clear.