Route Advice Sought.....

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Hey Guys;

In a couple weeks the wife and I will be making our way to the Rockies to fish a bit, yet when driving through your alls states I'm seeking some non-fishing related advice regarding our route.

Consider the map below and its 2 pages. The Route will take us through Mi., In., Il, Ia., Ne. and on the return SD., ND., Mn., Wi., U.P. Mi.:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=202972283030865358962.0004fb36be2b236e15f10

The route "rough" at best and flexible, yet as we pass through the midwest states there is something very specific I would like to see and perhaps you folks can help me.....Coming from a Southern farming community (in the day was Tobacco), I would REALLY like to catch some scenery like most choose to avoid.

That being rural crop regions. You know, those classic photos where it's nothing but corn, wheat or whatever for a gazillion miles. Rolling hills and field after field of crops.

So can any of you suggest any particular routes that might swing us through what I consider the GREAT American landscape. Heck, maybe even a Ruritan league ball game along the way......Any of the classic mid-west wonders also welcome, resturants, bars, landmarks, whatever.....Yet I'd really dig on seeing a bit of farming America along the way.

Thanks for any suggestions!

B.E.F.

fishiowa

Reaction score
You should see plenty of corn fields through Iowa and Nebraska although the land along I-80 is going commercial in many areas. Take a side trip on some of the county roads and you will see nothing but cropland in all directions.

Since you mentioned baseball Field of Dreams is about 1.5 hours north of your route in Dyersville, IA. American Pickers have a location near the quad cities (Le Claire, IA) Disclaimer, I've not been to the American Pickers place.

diamond rush

Reaction score
You'll be sick of staring at flat corn fields before you even make it out of Illinois, let alone Iowa and Nebraska. I grew up in rural southern Minnesota, and the cropland is beautiful. You can see forever and the sunsets are amazing. But driving across the entire states of Iowa and Nebraska is mind-numbingly boring.

spm

Reaction score
Hey Guys;

In a couple weeks the wife and I will be making our way to the Rockies to fish a bit, yet when driving through your alls states I'm seeking some non-fishing related advice regarding our route.

Consider the map below and its 2 pages. The Route will take us through Mi., In., Il, Ia., Ne. and on the return SD., ND., Mn., Wi., U.P. Mi.:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=202972283030865358962.0004fb36be2b236e15f10

The route "rough" at best and flexible, yet as we pass through the midwest states there is something very specific I would like to see and perhaps you folks can help me.....Coming from a Southern farming community (in the day was Tobacco), I would REALLY like to catch some scenery like most choose to avoid.

That being rural crop regions. You know, those classic photos where it's nothing but corn, wheat or whatever for a gazillion miles. Rolling hills and field after field of crops.

So can any of you suggest any particular routes that might swing us through what I consider the GREAT American landscape. Heck, maybe even a Ruritan league ball game along the way......Any of the classic mid-west wonders also welcome, resturants, bars, landmarks, whatever.....Yet I'd really dig on seeing a bit of farming America along the way.

Thanks for any suggestions!

B.E.F.
Since you won't be going through my state, I can't help with any route suggestions. I'll only say that's my kind of trip. I love getting off the main highways and seeing the real Americana ..."Blue Highways".

Travel safely, and enjoy!
spm

NDflyfisher

Reaction score
On your return trip through ND spend some time in the western ND badlands. Medora and the national park. Medora is an old west now tourist town. Teddy Roosevelt had a ranch there before he became president. Lots of good history. Go to the Medora musical as disturbing as that sounds. it's actually very good. It's not just a bunch of singing as you might expect, it's mostly about Teddy Roosevelt. Only stop for gas in eastern ND. That side of the state is flat and boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guest64

Account on hold
Reaction score
If you get tired of the cornfields along I-80 in IL, IA, NE, I'd suggest you slide north to I-90 through WI, MN, and SD.

I-90 more or less bisects the driftless area of WI and MN which has excellent trout fishing. There's also the Black Hills area in western SD which has some good trout fishing and a number of tourist attractions including Mt Rushmore.

You could take I-80 through IL, take US 61 up along the Mississippi River to I-90 and then head west on I-90 and still catch plenty of cornfields in IL and western MN.

diamond rush

Reaction score
If you get tired of the cornfields along I-80 in IL, IA, NE, I'd suggest you slide north to I-90 through WI, MN, and SD.

I-90 more or less bisects the driftless area of WI and MN which has excellent trout fishing. There's also the Black Hills area in western SD which has some good trout fishing and a number of tourist attractions including Mt Rushmore.

You could take I-80 through IL, take US 61 up along the Mississippi River to I-90 and then head west on I-90 and still catch plenty of cornfields in IL and western MN.
There's a rest stop on I-90 where you can catch wild brown trout. :)

doneinne

Reaction score
I live in Nebraska. I would get off interstate 80. Take hwy 275 to hwy 20 into Wyoming. Much better terrain. Most of it is 65 miles per hour.
Plus some small trout streams around Fort Robinson State Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Interesting to see all the references to I-90. Odd as it may be there are very few 'long distance' east-west freeways. I-90 starts at the Seattle water front and ends up at the Atlantic Ocean (or close to it).

No long distance FW's in Oregon at all save for I-5 which is North/South.Haven't looked at a map but can't think of a major east/west in California until you get close to Southern California.

Suspect its all those darned Mountains in the way ......

ontheflymn

Reaction score
If you're planning on the I90 route through MN, get south of 90 for better fishing and better scenery, dip into northeast IA, and cross into SW Wisco. All three areas fish very similarly. Basic tandem rigs for nymphs, dry and dropper on top.

PM me if you want further details.

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
A trip through the Badlands and a stop at Wall Drug are a must if in SD. Deadwood is pretty cool too. The drive through Iowa and Neb is enough to put a bullet in your head. Just did it 2 weeks ago. A ton of one lane construction areasgoing on in each direction

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
Thanks again guys!

B.E.F.
drop me a PM with your e mail
and I'll give you some info on a more southernly route
I took it east and then back again from Vegas where I live
some great country I went thru and found some cool places I'll share
plus other stuff I put together

I'm off to work (graveyard shift) but can get it all to you in a day or so

witrouter

Reaction score
I have done the southern wisconsin, southern minnesota, south dakota drive out and back to wyoming a couple of times. and you will get bored of the scenery pretty fast on Interstate 90 if you dont stop and do a few touristy things. Corn Palace, Bad lands, black hills, mount rushmore or crazy horse. I would take 90 out to Buffalo WY. Pretty decent fishing in the Bighorn Mountains right outside town. Then on the way back go north to Interstate 94 and hit some of the fishing spots in Montana and wisconsin, and then take the U.P back and see all the waterfalls that area has to offer.
And fish the Bois brule in Northern Wisconsin and the Brule along the Eastern U.P/Wisconsin Border.

Last edited: