Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Route Advice Sought.....

Hey Guys;

In a couple weeks the wife and I will be making our way to the Rockies to fish a bit, yet when driving through your alls states I'm seeking some non-fishing related advice regarding our route.

Consider the map below and its 2 pages. The Route will take us through Mi., In., Il, Ia., Ne. and on the return SD., ND., Mn., Wi., U.P. Mi.:
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...6be2b236e15f10

The route "rough" at best and flexible, yet as we pass through the midwest states there is something very specific I would like to see and perhaps you folks can help me.....Coming from a Southern farming community (in the day was Tobacco), I would REALLY like to catch some scenery like most choose to avoid.

That being rural crop regions. You know, those classic photos where it's nothing but corn, wheat or whatever for a gazillion miles. Rolling hills and field after field of crops.

So can any of you suggest any particular routes that might swing us through what I consider the GREAT American landscape. Heck, maybe even a Ruritan league ball game along the way......Any of the classic mid-west wonders also welcome, resturants, bars, landmarks, whatever.....Yet I'd really dig on seeing a bit of farming America along the way.

Thanks for any suggestions!

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

2. Likes spm, fredaevans liked this post

Default Re: Route Advice Sought.....

You should see plenty of corn fields through Iowa and Nebraska although the land along I-80 is going commercial in many areas. Take a side trip on some of the county roads and you will see nothing but cropland in all directions.

Since you mentioned baseball Field of Dreams is about 1.5 hours north of your route in Dyersville, IA. American Pickers have a location near the quad cities (Le Claire, IA) Disclaimer, I've not been to the American Pickers place.

4. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post

You'll be sick of staring at flat corn fields before you even make it out of Illinois, let alone Iowa and Nebraska. I grew up in rural southern Minnesota, and the cropland is beautiful. You can see forever and the sunsets are amazing. But driving across the entire states of Iowa and Nebraska is mind-numbingly boring.

6. Likes ted4887, GrtLksMarlin liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Love Montana! BUT towns/Petrol stations are few and far between! Don't let your tank get below half full. Next station could be 100 miles away.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

8. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
    Hey Guys;

In a couple weeks the wife and I will be making our way to the Rockies to fish a bit, yet when driving through your alls states I'm seeking some non-fishing related advice regarding our route.

Consider the map below and its 2 pages. The Route will take us through Mi., In., Il, Ia., Ne. and on the return SD., ND., Mn., Wi., U.P. Mi.:
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...6be2b236e15f10

The route "rough" at best and flexible, yet as we pass through the midwest states there is something very specific I would like to see and perhaps you folks can help me.....Coming from a Southern farming community (in the day was Tobacco), I would REALLY like to catch some scenery like most choose to avoid.

That being rural crop regions. You know, those classic photos where it's nothing but corn, wheat or whatever for a gazillion miles. Rolling hills and field after field of crops.

So can any of you suggest any particular routes that might swing us through what I consider the GREAT American landscape. Heck, maybe even a Ruritan league ball game along the way......Any of the classic mid-west wonders also welcome, resturants, bars, landmarks, whatever.....Yet I'd really dig on seeing a bit of farming America along the way.

Thanks for any suggestions!

B.E.F.
    Since you won't be going through my state, I can't help with any route suggestions. I'll only say that's my kind of trip. I love getting off the main highways and seeing the real Americana ..."Blue Highways".

Travel safely, and enjoy!
    spm

10. Likes GrtLksMarlin, fredaevans liked this post

David Doud's Countyline Orchard - LocalHarvest

When going thru Indiana try looking up these folks, best apple butter anywhere period, we order it by the case.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

12. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post

On your return trip through ND spend some time in the western ND badlands. Medora and the national park. Medora is an old west now tourist town. Teddy Roosevelt had a ranch there before he became president. Lots of good history. Go to the Medora musical as disturbing as that sounds. it's actually very good. It's not just a bunch of singing as you might expect, it's mostly about Teddy Roosevelt. Only stop for gas in eastern ND. That side of the state is flat and boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    C&R

14. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post
    southern Minnesota just left of the Driftless

If you take I-90 through SD don't forget to stop at the Corn Palace in Mitchel SD.

2x

16. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post

If you get tired of the cornfields along I-80 in IL, IA, NE, I'd suggest you slide north to I-90 through WI, MN, and SD.

I-90 more or less bisects the driftless area of WI and MN which has excellent trout fishing. There's also the Black Hills area in western SD which has some good trout fishing and a number of tourist attractions including Mt Rushmore.

You could take I-80 through IL, take US 61 up along the Mississippi River to I-90 and then head west on I-90 and still catch plenty of cornfields in IL and western MN.

18. Likes GrtLksMarlin, diamond rush liked this post

Thanks guys, considering it all, keep it coming!

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast