Guides for Northeast Iowa

zamboknee

Reaction score
Are there any guides in the Northeast Iowa region for fly fishing?
Colorado trip plans might be falling through and need backup plans for this August.

ia_trouter

Reaction score

fishiowa

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you are located and if you are locked into Iowa or if you are open to other parts of the driftless. If open I would agree with IATrouter and Larry and give a+1 on Rich Osthoff and SW Wisconsin. Rich does the traditional guide thing and although I have never fished with him that way, he knows his stuff and the SW WI waters well so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

What Rich offers for experienced fly fishers that is unique is called split fishing. You split the fishing time; so yes, he is the guide but he not only carries a rod but also fishes roughly half the time. To paraphrase from his description, you fish where/how he would fish if he were fishing alone. We have ended up in some pretty interesting places and if you pay attention you can pick up a lot from just watching how someone with that level of experience fishes.

If you are a beginner go the traditional route and as a retired teacher he will show you as much as you can absorb. If you are an experienced fly fisher and in decent shape (Rich is a very strong hiker) go the split fishing route.