Black Hills, of S. Dakota?

brownbass

Reaction score
I was just sitting here thinking that all of the really good trout fishing out west can't just be in Colorado, Wyoming and the YSNP. I bet South Dakota has some great fishing. I know it has some fine Pheasant Hunting.
Can someone clue me in on good streams to fish in the Silver City, Rapid City area? Rapid City has some fond memories for me so I would definitely be stopping there.

Thanks,
Bill

brownbass

Reaction score
Thanks, Larry,
I am thinking of SD as an alternative to YSNP. Just a way to avoid the crowds. Not as a replacement, that experience is certainly something I want to as a fisherman.

Bill

Last edited:

dakotakid

Reaction score
I was there in June for the first time and though I have very little experience trout fishing, had a great time and caught plenty of fish. Wrote up a trip report that might be of interest:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...341-black-hills-south-dakota-trip-report.html

Definitely recommend you stop by the Dakota Angler to pick up flies that are working at the time. Also, they have a very nice selection of fly tying materials in case that is also of interest.

They regularly post fishing updates on their blog, which you definitely should check out.
Black Hills Fishing Blog - Black Hills Fly Fishing

Good luck!

brownbass

Reaction score
Your trip report just makes me want to explore that area further. Very good report.
Next time you are in Missouri and head to The Current River near Montauk, try the fishing below the park. The state releases Brown trout in the river and some times (fall-winter) the fishing can be very good and there are some good fish in the river, and they are wiser than the stockers in the park. You will need a trout stamp outside the park.

Bill

kevind62

Reaction score
I was there in June for the first time and though I have very little experience trout fishing, had a great time and caught plenty of fish. Wrote up a trip report that might be of interest:

Black Hills (South Dakota) trip report - The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Definitely recommend you stop by the Dakota Angler to pick up flies that are working at the time. Also, they have a very nice selection of fly tying materials in case that is also of interest.

They regularly post fishing updates on their blog, which you definitely should check out.
Black Hills Fishing Blog - Black Hills Fly Fishing

Good luck!
Thanks for posting the fish reports dakotakid! I'll be passing through in a few weeks!

SDMT

Reaction score
President Coolidge had a hunting lodge, and fly fishing stream built in the Black Hills. The stream is a 3 mile long series of pools. Good size pools too. Perfect for a day of enjoying fly fishing.

luj333

Reaction score
I fished there last year. A lot of trout water, including rapid creek which runs right through Rapid City. Also numerous opportunities in the Black Hills streams as well as even the reservoirs. Get in touch with Dakota Angler fly shop and they'll steer you in the right direction.

2bornot2b

Reaction score
I fished Spearfish Creek and Little Spearfish Creek the last week of April. Flows in both were very high and I did not have any success. I concur with contacting Dakota Anglers, in fall 2016 fishing Spring Creek below the dam was excellent!

2bornot2b

Reaction score
Returned to Rapid City for a fall trip. Excellent weather and much lower water equals good results. Fished Rapid Creek above Pactola dam with Ryan from Dakota Angler, caught numerous fish in the 12-14 inch range on tenkara rods. I also fished Rapid Creek in town and had similar results, however most fish were taken on dry flies.

luj333

Reaction score
My wife and I fished last April with a guide out of Dakota Angler and made a pit stop at Pactola to see if anything was happening. It ended up being right after ice out and the rainbows were just cruising the shoreline munching up everything they could find. Ended up spending the whole day because it was so ridiculous.