Wisconsin Early Season Opens Today

guest64

Account on hold
Reaction score
Ha. I'm in SE MN and our winter season has been open since Jan 1st. I've been out a couple times, but it's been a terrible season so far in terms of weather and I'm way, way behind my usual pace for time on the stream.

It doesn't look good for a while either. Single digit high temps in the forecast for most of the next week, around 2 feet of snow on ground with drifts even deeper, and many of the roads still packed with snow / ice. We've also had more stream reaches freeze over this year than I can ever remember.

jbird

Reaction score
I have never considered suicide before. So I will not be partaking in the opener.

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
Wedding today but still wouldn't fish it.

Our 10 day doesn't look very good either.

It's gonna break soon, just keep telling myself that

ontheflymn

Reaction score
I worry that when it breaks, it's really gonna roll. Feet of snow and six foot frost depths doesn't bode well if the weather gets too warm too fast.

I hope I'm wrong.

itchmesir

Reaction score
This winter season has definitely turned me into a fair weather fishermen... But temps are looking to rise by Thursday... I'll probably head out... I'm not happy to be so far behind on my fishing days quota

Mnflyfish

Reaction score
Long range forecast, accuweather anyways, shows a steady but gradual increase in temps after this next few days. I'm hoping so, will be June before all the frost comes out at this rate. -10 by my thermometer with -20 wind chills.
As the days get longer it HAS to start warming up.......doesn't it??

Sent from my iPhone

ted4887

Reaction score
I worry that when it breaks, it's really gonna roll. Feet of snow and six foot frost depths doesn't bode well if the weather gets too warm too fast.

I hope I'm wrong.

From what I've heard, the Army Corps of Engineers on the river are really concerned about water levels right now. Rumors have it that the flooding will be the worst we've experienced in quite some time due to snow amounts and the deep frost.

I hope they're wrong too though.

Last edited:

itchmesir

Reaction score
They say Lake Pepin ice is 3' thick in some spots... Snow packs ranging from 30"-46"+... Not gonna be a good spring... Looks like FEMA will get to f more people over again.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I passed on the early season opener. I can do without fishing below zero temps and single digits fishing for Steelhead, let alone trout. Typically the second or third weekend in March I fish for 4 days in SW WI but not this year. There's just been too much snow and too consistently cold to make the trek - so I'm fishing for Steelhead in Michigan instead this March. Generally in March I'd have a couple weekends under my belt - not this year.

nandagikendan

Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum but I recently joined the St.Paul Fly Tiers in January and our first outing was this past weekend on the Kinni. It was cold but sunny. The eyelets iced up about every third cast but it was a pleasant day to be out on the river. I'm a newbie so my goals were extremely modest (read: learn to cast!)...looking forward to warmer weather though and greater accuracy :) Lake Pepin at 61 had some open water about a week ago, St. Croix and Mississippi had some open water this past weekend at I-94....snow tonight though :(