The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Upper Mid-U.S. North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 03-08-2015, 05:47 PM

ontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of light
Default A non-opener post

Unlike our neighbors to the east, ALL of southeast Minnesota's streams have been open since Jan. 1, not the carte blanche Iowa has, but I'll take it.

It was one of those days that reminds you that winter is in the rear view...until you get socked with eight inches of wet, sloppy snow in April. Stream levels were a tad low and water clarity was outstanding considering the snow melt and daytime runoff can sometimes make fishing tricky to say the least.

I finally saw some real, actual BWO emergence today, which will only get better as temperatures continue to soar throughout the Midwest. My trail fly was a #18 one biot, black PT, and it killed it all day. Sure, the usual suspects as a lead fly caught fish, but the PT was money.

Click the image to open in full size.

The plus of the day was running into some holdover rainbows that obviously have found a way to adapt from hatchery life to stream life.

Click the image to open in full size.

The weather is good and getting better. Baetis are flying, and the midges are still around. Finally, be sure to pack some sunscreen....and pack some buggers. It won't be long before the hogs will be hammering them.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 03-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard
Default Re: A non-opener post

Nice fish buddy, it won't be too long before the ice goes out here and I'll be out there a little too.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ontheflymn, mcnerney liked this post
Old 03-09-2015, 09:13 AM

diamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to behold

Nice, but you should have moved up stream and tried for the slam. That PT looks a lot like the stonefly nymphs that are crawling all over the place this time of year.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, ontheflymn liked this post
Old 03-09-2015, 10:11 AM

ontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of light

The stream I was on doesn't have brookies, so the slam was out of the question. I can usually get the slam a few times a year if I play my cards right. The trick is the brook trout part. We just don't have them as widespread as I would like.

The rainbow part is not - just pay attention to DNR stocking data.