The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Upper Mid-U.S. North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 06-29-2016, 11:02 PM

zamboknee will become famous soon enoughzamboknee will become famous soon enough
Default Guides for Northeast Iowa

Are there any guides in the Northeast Iowa region for fly fishing?
Colorado trip plans might be falling through and need backup plans for this August.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:33 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guides for Northeast Iowa

Have you considered SW Wisconsin? Rich Osthoff has a great reputation. I'm sure fishiowa will see this thread and comment. He has hired Rich a number of times. He may have personal experience with Iowa guides too but I'm not sure. And yes there are definitely IA guides that operate out of the Decorah area.

http://www.richosthoff.com/

http://neiflyfishing.com/

http://www.driftlessonthefly.com/
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 06-30-2016, 03:16 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Rich Osthoff has a great reputation.
+1 for Rich Osthoff! I haven't used him as a guide, but I have read his books, he knows his stuff and if I lived closer he would certainly be on the top of my guide list.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ia_trouter liked this post
Old 06-30-2016, 05:19 AM

fishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud of

I'm not sure where you are located and if you are locked into Iowa or if you are open to other parts of the driftless. If open I would agree with IATrouter and Larry and give a+1 on Rich Osthoff and SW Wisconsin. Rich does the traditional guide thing and although I have never fished with him that way, he knows his stuff and the SW WI waters well so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

What Rich offers for experienced fly fishers that is unique is called split fishing. You split the fishing time; so yes, he is the guide but he not only carries a rod but also fishes roughly half the time. To paraphrase from his description, you fish where/how he would fish if he were fishing alone. We have ended up in some pretty interesting places and if you pay attention you can pick up a lot from just watching how someone with that level of experience fishes.

If you are a beginner go the traditional route and as a retired teacher he will show you as much as you can absorb. If you are an experienced fly fisher and in decent shape (Rich is a very strong hiker) go the split fishing route.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, ia_trouter, diamond rush, k_e_v liked this post
Old 02-22-2017, 09:31 AM

luj333 is on a distinguished road

You should also consider Bear Creek Anglers. I've fished with Kent in the Decorah region before and would recommend him.

Bear Creek Anglers