The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Upper Mid-U.S. North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 07-28-2017, 04:46 PM

brownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to behold
Default Black Hills, of S. Dakota?

I was just sitting here thinking that all of the really good trout fishing out west can't just be in Colorado, Wyoming and the YSNP. I bet South Dakota has some great fishing. I know it has some fine Pheasant Hunting.
Can someone clue me in on good streams to fish in the Silver City, Rapid City area? Rapid City has some fond memories for me so I would definitely be stopping there.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 07-28-2017, 06:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Hills, of S. Dakota?

Bill

I have never fished the Black Hills, but have heard good reports, you might checkout Dakota Anglers:

Black Hills Fishing - Dakota Angler & Outfitter - Black Hills Fishing

Old 07-31-2017, 09:13 AM

brownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, Larry,
I am thinking of SD as an alternative to YSNP. Just a way to avoid the crowds. Not as a replacement, that experience is certainly something I want to as a fisherman.

Bill

Last edited by brownbass; 07-31-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 07-31-2017, 04:28 PM

dakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to behold

I was there in June for the first time and though I have very little experience trout fishing, had a great time and caught plenty of fish. Wrote up a trip report that might be of interest:

Black Hills (South Dakota) trip report

Definitely recommend you stop by the Dakota Angler to pick up flies that are working at the time. Also, they have a very nice selection of fly tying materials in case that is also of interest.

They regularly post fishing updates on their blog, which you definitely should check out.
Black Hills Fishing Blog - Black Hills Fly Fishing

Good luck!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, brownbass, GrtLksMarlin liked this post
Old 07-31-2017, 06:36 PM

Your trip report just makes me want to explore that area further. Very good report.
Next time you are in Missouri and head to The Current River near Montauk, try the fishing below the park. The state releases Brown trout in the river and some times (fall-winter) the fishing can be very good and there are some good fish in the river, and they are wiser than the stockers in the park. You will need a trout stamp outside the park.

Bill
Old 10-02-2017, 10:18 AM

kevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud ofkevind62 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
I was there in June for the first time and though I have very little experience trout fishing, had a great time and caught plenty of fish. Wrote up a trip report that might be of interest:

Black Hills (South Dakota) trip report - The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Definitely recommend you stop by the Dakota Angler to pick up flies that are working at the time. Also, they have a very nice selection of fly tying materials in case that is also of interest.

They regularly post fishing updates on their blog, which you definitely should check out.
Black Hills Fishing Blog - Black Hills Fly Fishing

Good luck!
Thanks for posting the fish reports dakotakid! I'll be passing through in a few weeks!