Help with information about vintage Harris Tackle rod

idaye74

Reaction score
Hello!

This is my first post here, and I am hoping someone may be able to assist.

My father is trying to find out some information on a fly rod that he's had for many years. It was never used, and has been mostly just on display in his home. He's been curious about the history of it, and if it holds any value.

I was finally able to get to take some pictures of it over the Christmas holidays while I was visiting.

Here's what we know about it.

The name on it is Harris Fishing Tackle" and also has the following written on it: Reliance (in an oval with the Harris name circled around it). "Sovereign" written in script above that, "Made in England" below the logo and "9 1/2 ft" below that.

It's a four piece rod, with two identical tips, and also includes plugs for the ends of the sections, and the original four-pocket cloth bag.

Rather than dump 10 photos here, I have created an album that is publicly view-able here:
Harris Fishing Tackle Fly Rod - Google Photos

I am including a picture of the wring on the rod (much higher quality at the link above):
details.jpg

As mentioned, the rod was never used as far as we know, and the condition seems to indicate that. The only damage that we could find was that a small piece of the gold oval, where the writing is, has peeled away.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I don't know a whole lot about rods, so apologies in advance if the information isn't enough to go on.

Thanks again.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I can only rely on the dressings and winding check in offering my guess. It has the look of a late 40's through mid 50's rod but could be earlier.

The extremely long cork with the butt knob makes me think that this was a Course Rod not a fly rod. I see small standing bridge guides all the way on all sections which is another thing making me think it was a course rod. Notice also the lack of sliding bands on the cork, this I cannot explain.

It could be as old as I guessed and I doubt any newer than 1960. Those ferrules, I don't know the proper name but they were used on course rods which is another thing that leads me to think that it is. Value, probably more to the holder as an antique decoration than for sale.