Vintage Rod Collections....

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that some of you have rods dating way back, when I used the word vintage I was aiming at rods dating 1970's through the turn of the century. Although bamboo and glass predates the graphite rods the carbon fibers are now firmly established in the vintage rod world so here goes a shot at an interesting thread...

Recently I acquired another generation one Orvis Graphite rod. One of our members listed it nearly 3 years ago and I immediately wanted it, you know the feeling. That feeling stems from when the rods were offered new, in this case new equates to 1978 and the rod was / is the Limestone 8 1/2 foot six weight.

By the time I realized that Orvis even made the rod it was 1980 and I had already purchased the 7'9" Far & Fine #5 rod and was tickled pink with it. I got the Far & Fine in Late 1979 and even then they were expensive. Adding the six weight when the Far and Fine worked so well represented redundancy to some extent so I stayed the course with what I had and also retained nearly $400.00 by doing so.

All that however did not end my coveting the Limestone rod, hardly because through the 80's and 90's I had become a fixture on many of Pennsylvania's limestone spring creeks and I fished my Far & Fine with great success. Still something was amiss, wouldn't this be better if the butt cap of my rod was inscribed 'Limestone"? I never did get one.

By the time we were into the 21st century I had scooped up an Orvis Light Salmon Bamboo rod and put it to use here in Alaska on Silver Salmon only to wish I had bought the Graphite model back in the 1980's. Sure enough I found a 1983 Nine & one half foot Graphite Light Salmon #8 rod in 'un-fished' condition and bought it. It has been posted to Rod Love several times and I was to use it today but cloud cover has prevented a fly in to a remote river so here I am at home writing a thread.... Although one river was opened to fishing for King Salmon I personally have boycotted fishing for them, one voice alone in a sea of knuckle dragging types here... I've been getting out once a week via bush planes to places where no one is at but today didn't work out.

Up until a couple months ago that was it, my old Far & Fine and the Light Salmon which by the way was made with the tail end of the original generation one graphite originated back in 1973 / 74 for and by Orvis. The rod possess the same blend of slow to medium action suited to a relaxed casting stroke while maintaining the ability to produce tight loop casting and distance. All that simply at the behest of the user, some tweaking of the technique and timing and line speed can be stepped up to meet conditions as they may change.

Now there are 3 of them, admittedly they don't see constant use like my old Hardy Swift 11 1/2 foot 2 hand rod does but they all get their day. The Limestone is waiting for me to get off my butt and pick up a #6 line for it and I'm hoping that my old CFO IV reel will make a good balance point once I rig it and take it Grayling fishing, no limestone spring creeks here you know.

So there you have it, 3 rods, hardly what I'd call a collection and two were acquired decades after their respective manufacture but I did finally get all three :)

Of course threads like this are useless with out photos, so...….

That's the 3 with the Far & Fine front using a Marquis #5 for the past 9 years because I've lined my Featherweight with a#3 line for my bamboo flea rod. The Featherweight is correct vintage while the Marquis is a late 80's model.

The Limestone with the CFO IV and the Light Salmon with a Hardy Ultra Light Disc circa 1994 on a 1983 rod but a great set.

I put the cap on the salmon rod for the picture and the extension is laying near by. Still not sure about the RIO 3D single hand Spey line on the Light Salmon

Next? Post them up as you have the time.

ctshooter

Reaction score
Most of my rods are older, only have a few.

It is fun landing a nice rainbow on bamboo rod made sometime around 1940, I hope the original owner still gets a smile

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I know we have some Sage & Winston people here that have more than what we've posted already and am sure they'll find this thread :) Those are some mighty fine old Winston's by the way :)

wthorpe

Reaction score
Inspired by someone on this forum, I began about a year ago reading about vintage fiberglass rods, bought a Fenwick FF79E (1964-5). 8' rod probably listed as 6 wt; i fish as a 5 wt. Fast forward, I now have:

2 Fenwick FF79's (E from 64-65 and F from 65-66),
FF 806M -4 pc (8' 6 wt, 1974-5) (and i had a an 806P (76-77) which i traded,
Fenwick 326 8' 6 wt (late 50's early 60's),
2 Shakespeare Wonderod 1280T's 7'9" 5-6 wt (i like 5) (both from 1951),
Shakey Wonderod 1250 (7'9" probably 6 wt 1953)
Shakespeare Executive Wonderod A 848 (7'9" 5 wt (at least for me)1964),
and a Phillipson 4F80 Johnson Profile 400 (Eponite) 8’ 6/7 wt (early '60's I think).

I have acquired all in the last year, fished and caught fish on all, except the 1250 still sitting by the door waiting its turn. I also now own several 40 to 80 year old Pflueger reels, all Medalists except one Sal Trout--another thread maybe?

No pics. It always takes an hour for me to figure out how to post them. And besides the rods are all in MT and I am not.

Last edited:

ddb

Reaction score
My Fenwicks include one each -- FF70, FF705, FF765, FF807, FF85 and an FF809.

My original graphites are either busted, hand made Lamiglas, or of dubious if any value as I never could afford the top of the line then.

Is collectible the same as vintage? I barely count my fiberglass in the vintage range.

ddb

mka

Reaction score
My favorite vintage rod is a Russ Peak 8'6" 3/4 rod. I still take it to the river on occasion and really enjoy getting a big old trout on a tight line with this beauty.

dennyk

Reaction score
Montague-Redwing split bamboo which my dad bought for my mom after they were married. 8' 6 weight, 3 piece, 2 tips and a steel rod tube. The case and the rod still have the selling price on them-$32.50. this rod does not get used.

Fenwick Feralites one 8' #807 7 weight and one 7'6 #756 6 weight. these I take out and have some fun with.

7'8" 6 weight split bamboo my childhood friend built from scratch and gifted me. I take this rod out when I'm pretending to be a trout fisherman. :)

Denny

photoguy

Reaction score
I don't consider myself a collector as much as someone who has accumulated stuff over the years, so I don't really have the mind set of *collecting*-

I was raised in a family of drop-line flounder fishermen, from a boat in the ocean. Somehow and I'm not exactly sure how, I got interested in fly fishing, so in the mid 60's I bought a St Croix fiberglass rod, a Plugger 1494 1/2 reel, a Columbia vest with some zingers and a Perrine magnetic fly box (which was just lost on the Upper Connecticut this past May during a dunking). I still have them all with the exception of the box and the vest no longer fits- must have shrunk ;). Then for some reason in the late 60's, I felt the need to buy a Fenwick 806 which I still have. In the 70's I got an Orvis Far and Fine, a Hardy Prince reel and a Wheatley hinged door fly box. Still have those too. In the 2000's I picked up an Orvis Superfine with an Orvis reel (not sure which one without going to take a look) and then recently an Orvis 8 weight to try my hand at striper fishing. Rods and reels hang in the garage and I grab one depending on where I'm off to. Everything but the St Croix rod and the shrinking vest have been used over the last year, and all have produced fish of various species.

Thinking about it now- I really miss that Perrine box...maybe I am a collector after all. ;)

redwing

Reaction score
Scott SF G905-4 early 1980's
Scott SF G904-2 early 1980's
Scott Brown Fiber Glass 662-2 1990's
Scott G956-4 1980's
Scott G907-4 1980's
Scott SF G1008-4 early 1980's
Sage RP 906-2 1990's
Sage RP 909-2 1990s
Sage SP+ 904-2 1990's
Winston LT 793-5 early 1990's

Yes I like medium action rods

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved this thread to Vintage Tackle Discussion, Duh...….. I missed that first time around:)

PS. That Russ Peak is beautiful Mike given what I can see without actually handling it.

ddb

Reaction score
Falcon53,

"9ft 8/9wt Powell - Chico Era Coho Model"

That, sir, is one helluva rod and I'll give it vintage rank too. My long time fishing partner has one and it has landed many trophies. I believe he plans to take it into the after life with him.

ddb

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an old friend who owns some of those old Powell rods, as I recall they worked with almost any line within a 5 line window. He was a devotee also and still has them.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
To be honest I don't even know WTH IM6 tech really means. All I know is anything I ever touched IM6, casting rods or fly rods was a pleasure to fish through the decades. I'd still fish happily if rod technology progressed no further since the 1980s.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
@ mka: Mike, that Peak rod just oozes style and quality. What do you know of its history? Did you buy it new and do you know what blank it was built on?

My interest in old carbon grew last year, greatly aided by many on this forum. I've been picking up older rods as and when the price is right on eBay, rarely paying more than £50. Folks just aren't interested in the main which is a shame because there are some great old graphite rods out there to be played with.

There are many rods remaining on my Wanted list - an old Orvis Graphite, a Winston IM6, a G. Loomis IMX and an original GLX to name a few but I've started with more 'blue collar' rods. I now occasionally fish with:

A Fenwick 'HMG', 1st Gen. Fenwick Graphite. 9' #5. 2 pc. 2 3/4 oz. c.1977. Home-built by ?. Nice, practical rod on the medium side of things by today's standards (well, mine, anyway! ;)).

A Fenwick 'HMG', 1st Gen. Fenwick Graphite. 12' 6'' #7/9, 3 pc. prob. by Dermot Wilson c. late 1970s. Arrived last week and yet to be cast. Hefty!

A Partridge 'Black Shadow' - Believed to be Lamiglas* '96% Graphite'. 9', #6. 2 pc. c.1980. 3 3/8 oz. A really sweet medium actioned rod. A pleasure to cast, truly.
*Edit. Feb '24: We live and learn. Not a Lamiglas at all - it is an early T&T blank. I thought it was nice! :)

A Loomis Composites 10 1/2 ft #8/9, 2 pc., c. 1979-1982. I got this and the next rod only last week and cast them on Sat. night. Teamed with a Bauer Little Mac 4 and a Hardy #8 WF F I could cast in the region of 25 yards. Now, I'm no s-h distance caster at the best of times and don't profess to be one so I can only say that's no different to what I'd expect with my more modern rods on a calm, windless (midgey!) evening. I felt that the rod tip took a long time to recover and the wobble would slightly influence the shooting line on the forward cast but otherwise it did the job fine. The Bauer was too light for it, though. I'll try a Tioga 10 next time. Tip-heaviness aside, it's not a light rod and I wouldn't want to fish it for more than a few hours at a time, which I will. An evening rod. :)

A Loomis Composites 10 ft #8/9, 2 pc., c. 1979-1982. Same set up as before, but this time the balance in the hand was much more comfortable. I rolled a line out into the stream then lengthened into an overhead cast. "Wow!" I exclaimed, quite involuntarily. The line simply sang out and landed straight and delicately (for an eight weight!). Accuracy was good and, although I cast a foot or two short of the longer rod, it was a real pleasure to use and one I want to christen with a fish asap. Kinda Medium-Medium/Fast-ish with no discernible recovery issues. I like the period LC logo. There's a second decal, 'Rod and Line' which may be the retailer?

1-P1030309.JPG

1-P1030310.jpg

A Loomis Composites Industries (LCI) 'Striker II' - 96% Graphite'. 8' 6", #6. 2 pc. 3 3/8 oz. c.1985.
After Gary Loomis departed in 1982 LC became LCI (to the best of my knowledge). Like the LC rods, the Striker has a bit of backbone (this, they and the Partridge/Lamiglas are all Loomis's '96% Graphite' from his Lamiglas days). I often read of ''old carbon rods being soft'' and yes, they can be. But not all are .... I've happily fished this rod with a sinking line and it's had no problem lifting the line from the deeps without bending double. Granted, it's not pretty-pretty but it's still catching fish after 30 years of service. Pics when I can.

An Alan Riddell 11' 4'' #7/8/9 3 pc. on a brown 2nd Gen. Fenwick HMG*. 1994.
At 6 oz I found this rod too heavy for me with one hand. Rather than consign it to the cupboard forever I decided to rework the butt section into a double-hander. Having partially shaped the upper handle and taped on the stripping ring I took the rod to the river. Spey casting with it was rather fun. It's very slow and deep-loading but capable of delivering a decent cast - decent enough for me to hook a 15 lb Atlantic salmon which took me to the backing on an upstream run! It was great to see the old rod bending throughout its length and to feel every head-shake from the rather irate fish. I've since worked further on the handle and will definitely be fishing this rod again soon.
Edit. Feb. 24: Not a Fenwick HMG at all. I was misled by the handwritten HMG on the butt but the spigot ferrule is wrong for that range. No provenance now known.

I've a few more from the '90s but I'll save writing about them for another day and get more/better photos taken.

Last edited:

think trout

Reaction score
I have a Vintage Orvis Graphite Limestone Special 6wt rod I purchased new in 1981 and it is still my favorite rod today. I've taken good care of it and believe it or not it still looks fairly new!