Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Talk to me about Scott G rods

So for a while I have fished a lot of Winstons and an 8 1/2 foot, 5 wgt WT in particular. After reading this section of the forum and talking with some people I picked up the IM6 version and love it even more.

But this has made me wonder what other, more medium action rods have I been missing. I have not spent time casting original Gs or G2s. I am particularly interested in the 8-4 and 8-8 4 and 5 wgts. Does anyone have any experience with these rods and be able to give me a sense of them?

In the “regular” section there are threads on the G2s and how they compare to the current GS but I have not found a comparison of original Gs to G2s. Thanks, Ed
    Last edited by edreilly; 08-14-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Default Re: Talk to me about Scott G rods

I have an original G904 two piece 25th Anniversary G Series. Love it!! I have fished single dry, dry with a dropper and even nymphed with it. Great rod but it does have a less stable tip than my GS 904. I fished my GS 904 this week and it fishes dry flies like placing ďa fly in a teacupĒ as Iíve heard others say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I've got the GS844-it is my favorite dry fly rod. Casts like a dream! I can't comment on the G or G2, I've never cast one.

Denny
    Last edited by dennyk; 08-15-2019 at 08:04 AM.

I just got my GS 8’4” 4w back from being repaired yesterday... not sure how but I damaged 2 guides, probably pushing through scrub.
    It’s a great rod, was hoping to use it tonight but the wind is in the high 20mph at the moment so may take the radian 9’4w instead

The new G Series is a highly specialized rod with limited appeal. Only if you like the delicate presentation of a world-renowned dry fly rod (G2), with a new, crisper tip that can handle some breeze, and the ability to fish a dry/dropper, and handle an indi/double-nymph rig, that comes with tremendous feel and quick tip recovery, and mends and roll casts easily, will you find yourself liking the new Scott G Series. All others should stay away.

Seriously, I had the G2 884/4, which is a fantastic dry fly rod. I moved up to the GS 884/4 after casting it. The new G is crisper, better at handling wind, will work with droppers and nymphs/indicators, and still maintains the classic G traits, but also has some punch. As trout rods go, it doesn't get much better than this.

6. Likes troutbum_74, iv_wjb, dennyk, cooutlaw, zjory liked this post
    Blog Entries

I owned about every Winston IM6 model/config. that was ever produced. I fished them along with other makers earlier production rods including Sage LL's, RPL's, and Scott G's and G2's almost exclusively for many years. I have kept a few IM6's as favorites and for sentimental value for wonderful perfect weather Sunday drivers. (not that they couldn't be fished more frequently but I fear breakage with no original repair option). I have upgraded most of my quiver for my "permanent" rods to serve me for the remainder of my fishing days, exclusively for trout only. My G's and G2's have been "modernized" and replaced by new GS G series in all configs. that transfer over. G's were similar to IM6's but in some configs. softer and slower yet. G2's were an improvement in stability and slightly quicker recovering than original G's...though some tapers were distinct in transition, most again, similar to IM6's with some models 883, 884, 885, coveted by many anglers. The GS series, as a whole, is a substantial improvement in recovery and stability over the G's and G2's, although several models, 884 for instance, saw somewhat lesser change than some of the others in the series....perhaps not to mess too much with a good thing. G's and some G2's will likely always have a fan based following of fishers and collectors much like the IM6's. Many folks still fish the daylights out of them and they certainly are still in high demand.

If I were to be targeting G's and G2's for acquisition, I would likely be searching for specific "sweet spot" model configs:

G's: 663, 762, 882, 883, 844/5, 845/5, 865 and perhaps other models not available on current GS roster

G2's: 883, 884, 772, 842, perhaps 885 although taper transition is for some too abrupt

Everything else model wise, I would offer, would likely be available with full warranty and in improved version of stability and recovery with GS series.

I currently own GS models: 906, 886, 885, 884, 844, 843, 773, and have 883 & 772 still on my radar for acquisition. 904 & 905 might slide their way in too. But as others have said, I hardly like these rods, most should probably just stay away from them.

8. Likes troutbum_74, WNCtroutstalker, redwing liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by edreilly View Post
    I have not spent time casting original Gs or G2s. I am particularly interested in the 8-4 and 8-8 4 and 5 wgts. Does anyone have any experience with these rods and be able to give me a sense of them?
    For reference, I still own and fish a G 883/3, a G 774/3, a G2 843/4 and a G2 845/4. I also owned and sold a G 904/4, a G 845/5, a G2 884/4, a G2 885/4 and a G2 886/4.

I owned the two 845s at the same time and so was able to cast them side-by-side. My recollection is that the G 845 was heavier (both actual weight and swing weight--not surprising given that it had an extra section), flexed deeper and had a very strong butt; the G2 felt more progressive and crisper and, for me, generated greater line speed--not that distance was a goal with either rod. I had a very hard time deciding which of the two to keep and ultimately decided on the G2, but the G was a great rod (the only thing I didn't like was trying to put the rod back in the ridiculously small tube, something like 1 5/8" if I recall)--even though the G had a strong butt, it never felt tippy. But I prefer the G2. In fact, in my view the G2 845, though not a popular rod (due to the shorter length I imagine), was the best of the G2 series. Of my remaining Gs and G2s, the G 774 (a terrific small stream rod, especially if the wind picks up) and the G2 845 are my favorites.

I also have a WT 865. It's been a while since I cast them against each other, but I would say the WT is stronger/more powerful. But I thought they were different enough, or at least I liked each enough, to keep them both.

I don't recall my specific impressions, but my BiiT 8'6" 4 wt Staff of Moses won the cast off against my G2 884.

Similarly, my IM6 8'6" wt won the cast off against the G2 886. As I recall that was a really close call as the G2 886 (only made for a few years) was a really nice rod, but I think I kept the Winston because it created a bigger gap with my 9' 6 wts (not that 2" really makes a difference) and I just had sort of decided that I'll never part with my IM6s and so the G2 886 was the one to move on.

Between the older Winstons and Scotts, I guess I tend to prefer my Winstons, but I'm a fan of both. I especially like the G 774, it still gets fished regularly.

I never really cared for the G2 885. I cast it against a GS 885 and sold the G2 thinking I'd buy a GS, but then decided against the GS.

I have a handful of Scott rods in 2-6 wt. If I could only have one, it would undoubtedly the GS 884. el jefe said it well, this rod will do a lot of different things well - and it feels great doing them.

11. Likes cooutlaw liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zjory View Post
    I have a handful of Scott rods in 2-6 wt. If I could only have one, it would undoubtedly the GS 884. el jefe said it well, this rod will do a lot of different things well - and it feels great doing them.
    This is especially true for Colorado waters. The handful of Scott rods spoken to here likely covers about any scenario found within our state. Bigger bugs, larger hopper/dropper, or streamers may lean toward Radian or 6wt....heavier double/triple nymph rigs maybe similar....but if fishing a cycle on our tailwater's for the day the 884, or 885 too, are pretty hard to beat. I might lean one rod only 885 only for wind, chubby's, lead, or indicator/nymph rigs or hopper dropper setups being just a smidge easier than 884....but it's so close it's splitting hairs and I've fished them all on both. Thank goodness we all have the opportunity to have more than one rod only in our lifetimes. I've thinned down further than I even expected I would and I'm still really happy with the coverage I have....point being...ZJory and El Jefe are correct, G rods, especially GS Series, are also far more versatile than one might expect or assume.

13. Likes zjory liked this post

WoW! Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. As I read these comments it seems like G and G2s are really appreciated but GS are loved. Which is very helpful. Another reason to go to the fly shop and air a few out. Thanks

15. Likes troutbum_74, zjory liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast