Wonderod identification and weight

Lemmon

Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify this model of wonderod? I can't seem to find it in the old sales flyers. It's 7'9 2 piece with metal furrels. It has 6 guides not including the tip top.

A friend gave it to me recently and I'm wanting to give it a go but the line is old and busted and I don't have spare sizes of line to really test for weight. Any advice or information would be appreciated!

IMG_20200115_195138.jpg
IMG_20200115_195104.jpg

silver creek

Reaction score
If no one has the answer, cast it with the reels and lines you have. The rod was made before reel feet and reel seats were standardized, so rather than try to fit a reel into a non-conforming reel seat, tape it on with electricians tape or masking tape.

If you plan to actually fish the rod, here's what is NOT important. The rod rating is not. What is important is the line size that actually feels right for the average distance you will be casting when you fish the rod.

flytie09

Reaction score
Here is a good resource.

fiberglass fly rods / Shakespeare

I tried scanning some google and ebay listings quick to match the color of the rod, label and the model id # and I couldn't figure it out. To give you a best guess.....it would a late 1950s rod/reel and the rod listed for a D,HDH,4M which equates to a 6-8 WT rod. I would pick up a 6 WT DT line and give it a try. I would ditch the old line and reel. It will only lead to headaches. Would make a nice door stop. I learned on one...and I wish I didn't have to in hindsight.

silver creek

Reaction score
The outside of the metal male ferrule looks corroded, which make me wonder about the inside of the female ferrule. I'd clean the inside of the female ferrule and the outside of the male ferrule before assembling the rod, lest you get a stuck ferrule.

flytie09

Reaction score
Good suggestion by Silver. He's a very smart guy.:thmbup: Get you some Aerokroil or Boeshield or WD-40 and clean the male and female ferrules. Then use some alcohol and a q-tips and clean off any excess. Be sure to clean out the female ferrule very well.

Good luck to you!

Lemmon

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the information guys! I'm excited to take it out and play with it. I have a 5/6 TFO reel that might work with your advice. And I'll make sure to clean that connection.

trev

Reaction score
I have used 4/0 steel wool and isopropyl to clean ferrules that looked like that, the female will need three times as much cleaning as the male. Don't twist when putting together or taking apart.
I'd start with a 6wt line, just based on the 7'9" length, it might want a 7wt but 6 is more likely.
IIRC some of the Wonderods had model numbers on the reel seat.
If you want to browse the catalogs for those years, most of them are here; *UPDATED* SHAKESPEARE Glass Fly Rod Catalog Listings 1947-1981 | Collecting Fiberglass Fly Rods | Fiberglass Flyrodders

jayr

Reaction score
One cleaning agent good for cleaning metal corrosion is often overlooked, vinegar. It is not toxic and hazardous as some cleaning agents and does a very good job at removing corrosion and rust from metals.