Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: An Old Lamson LP 3.5 & sp. spool.

Thank you, o c, I'll check the badge tomorrow.

I had a play with mine this afternoon and the good news is that by adjusting the nut on the triangular plate one can increase/decrease the scope of the drag to personal preference.
    Mine now spans the 8-4 clock face with 8 preventing over-run, 4 pretty well giving lock down.

I took the spool latch apart to clean (be VERY careful if you do, there's a tiny wire spring which 'sprung'! Luckily I found it but ..... urrrrrgggghhhhh!
    Can't see any way to reduce the wobble which feels like it starts/reaches down to the clutch (the bi-metal disc with the three pins and two slots). No biggy, happy bunny here now the drag is set sweetly.
    Oh, and I dressed the spindle with a little reel grease. It now spins several times on pick up with a wee tap on the spool rim, good for quick recovery of spare line at the start of the fight.

2. Default Re: An Old Lamson LP 3.5 & sp. spool.

I would have guessed that the wobble is inherent in the design tolerances in the spool latch (thanks for the terminology to describe it). I say that because there is no sign of wear on the spindle and the play is the same regardless of which of 4 spools I pair up with either of the two reels.

I've never taken the spool latch apart but I have lost a tiny pin dismantling a different reel (fortunately Guide Flyfishing, the distributor was able to provide a compatible replacement), so I know the uurrrrgh feeling.

I think you are right, original cormorant, that the wobble is inherent in the design. It's no different from my Tioga reels (not T. Tetons but the cheaper, old models) which I believe cost less than the Lamsons and were contemporary. My suspicion is that the wobble originates from the base of the spindle where the two prongs of the spool marry with the clutch (in the two holes in the brass bit), either from that join or between the clutch itself and the spindle. That's solely based on how it feels in the hand, though.

To support your thoughts on the design tolerances, there is so little sign of wear on mine that I don't think over-use is an issue. No corrosion, no striations from grit, etc., and when I removed the toothed drag plate to clean there was only grease and oil residue, no particles at all. There's only a little gravel rash to show it has seen action, in fact.
    I reckon I'm just becoming a tad fastidious in my old age.

I don't recommend removing the latch plate on an LP unless one has a problem, just in case that tiny spring flies away. There's nothing in there which needs attention and one drop of oil once in a blue moon should keep things healthy. I was just being overly curious. I wouldn't have a chance in hell of sourcing a replacement latch spring in the UK, I'm sure! I was so lucky, it landed on a piece of plain white paper on the window sill, not on the workshop floor.

4. Default Re: An Old Lamson LP 3.5 & sp. spool.

I think the "wobble fulcrum" is at the other end of the spindle i.e. in the latch on the spool rather than at the reel back-plate end.

Quote Originally Posted by original cormorant View Post
    I think the "wobble fulcrum" is at the other end of the spindle i.e. in the latch on the spool rather than at the reel back-plate end.
    Hmmm, I'll play around a bit more! Sure, the latch is the least sophisticated end in terms of engineering. You may well be right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12