Fishing on the Sidewalk

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Not quite sure of the point of this thread, especially when you consider it's not fly fishing, and it's a new members first post. Something smells fishy!:rolleyes:

keiths

Reaction score
It is fishing, just not like we do here. Some places people are VERY poor and hungry.

wolfglen

Reaction score
It is fishing, just not like we do here. Some places people are VERY poor and hungry.
One would have to be very hungry to eat one of those walking catfish, for conversation sake I have tried them, uukkk the bottom of the catfish food chain; bloody red flesh. I tad below the hard head sea catfish.
Now the gafftopsail catfish is not that bad and most people I've tried a taste test with had a hard time telling them from farm raised catfish.

I guess this kid would not be a posterboy for catch and release fame.
In any case, have any of you ever been stung by a walking catfish? About like a really bad hornet sting which lasts for hours.

By the way, both channel cats and gafftopsails will take a fly and I've taken gaffs on a popping bug.

wf10f

Reaction score
Maybe his first and last post but I'm glad he posted it. Loved seeing someone doing something like that. I used to fish a small culvert in high water where I'd drift any old wet fly back into the culvert on the current and there'd always be a brookie or two in their feeding. Not a sidewalk but unusual anyway.

markfrid

Reaction score
I've never actually fished on the sidewalk, but I've cast there more than once. T. Hargrove Fly Fishing in St. Louis is my favorite place in StL. They have no yard at all to try out rods, so Craig will set you up with half dozen rods and leave them sitting on the shrubbery next to the door to the shop. Meanwhile, you cast along the sidewalk, 10' away from a very busy Manchester Road. Lots of interesting comments and puzzled looks from passing commuters and pedestrians on the sidewalk. What fun!

Mark

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My grandpa told me that when my uncle was a little boy he took his fishing pole out into the street and carefully lowered his baited hook through a hole in the manhole cover. Grandpa asked him what he was doing.

"There's water down there. I'm fishing!"

"Well, if you catch one, how you going to get it through that little hole?"

Uncle Mel said, "Hmmm, hadn't thought of that."

So Grandpa had him get into the car and they spent the rest of the day up on Grand Mesa.

flyminded

Reaction score
There is a small village in the U.K. where a small tributary of the Test actually runs under the main road through the village. I have actually seen decent sized trout on the down stream side of the road holding at the outlet feeding on whatever was being flushed through, literally beside the sidewalk.

karstopo

Reaction score
One would have to be very hungry to eat one of those walking catfish, for conversation sake I have tried them, uukkk the bottom of the catfish food chain; bloody red flesh. I tad below the hard head sea catfish.
Now the gafftopsail catfish is not that bad and most people I've tried a taste test with had a hard time telling them from farm raised catfish.

I guess this kid would not be a posterboy for catch and release fame.
In any case, have any of you ever been stung by a walking catfish? About like a really bad hornet sting which lasts for hours.

By the way, both channel cats and gafftopsails will take a fly and I've taken gaffs on a popping bug.
Hard heads will take a fly as well. I've caught a few on clousers and shrimp patterns. Never eaten one. I release the gafftops I catch too. I can't get past the slime. But some people in Texas eat gafftops, very few eat hard heads. Hard heads have a nasty "sting" as well. My friend ended up in the emergency room after getting finned in the hand.