Bass on a Bluegill

bob3700

Reaction score
I am sure that this has happened to many of you. Fishing small for Bluegill, a 3 wt rod with a hopper dropper rigl A little hopper with an 18 Midge off the hook with 6x tippet.

The bluegill takes the hopper and during the struggle to get free, along comes a 4 1/2 lb LM bass and tries to get the bluegill. Misses the bluegill and gets hooked on the Midge.

I go from oh, this little guy is feisty, to wholly cow, what is on my line. Managed to land that LM after letting him run a bit. That 3 wt rod was not going to horse that fish anywhere.

Was pretty much fun to get him in the boat.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
That always gets the heart pumping.Glad to hear you landed him.

I had a snapping turtle take a small bluegill that i had on the line once.He would not let go either.I decided i did not need that particular fly as much as he wanted that bluegill so i got him as close as i cared to and cut the leader.:D

rangerrich99

Reaction score
My brother had a similar situation once while we were deep-sea fishing. An average-sized blue crab grabbed his bait and then was grabbed by a 50 lbs. grouper. At the time, my brother was around 8, so maybe weighed 50 lbs. himself. The part I can still remember was seeing the rod tip bounce a couple times and telling him to grab the rod. Right after he did is when the grouper must've grabbed the crab, because as my little brother set the rod butt to his hip, the rod bent over past the railing and he just slid about ten feet across the deck. I had to run him down and grab the back of his pants before he got yanked over the side.

When we finally got that fish up, the crab was still in the fish's mouth, one claw still hanging onto the hook, the rest of him squished as flat as a piece of paper.

Peace.

cab

Reaction score
The 2 times I had 2 trout hit 2 flies simultaneously, they ran opposite directions and snapped both flies off. :(

CAB

msl819

Reaction score
Yep I've had bass attack hooked Bream numerous times. Usually they spit it out near the shore.
My experience too. I have even let them take line and the bluegill. I have never landed the bass when it happens. Still a ton of fun though.

patrick62

Reaction score
I was in a lake, casting to a big largemouth that was hanging out by a submerged brush pile near the shore. Laurel bushes were hanging out over the water, so it was tricky.

I had a popper and a small Wooly Bugger underneath it. Finally got the cast where I wanted it, the bugger was sinking and the lunker was stirring when...

A little bluegill came out of nowhere, grabbed the bugger, and started swimming sideways like they do.

I directed some bad words at the bluegill and started reeling the whole shebang in when...

Bam! A pickerel uncoiled itself from the mud and bit the bluegill clean in two.

I was left with about one-third of a blue gill, with a very surprised expression on its face.

The bass didn't budge. I caught it about 30 minutes later. Smaller than I thought. Oh well.

skunkedalot

Reaction score
Similar experience
I fish a small farm pond that is loaded with nice bass and an over abundance of stunted gills.
no matter the hook size- the gills are agressive and take the popper or at least try to.
most of the bass are in the 12 to 16 inch range but there is one that is much bigger. i call her the queen.
This summer, the pond queen has taken several small gills off my line. i let out line and try to set the hook. i have yet to keep her hooked.
finally, i got her to take a popper before a gill pounced on it - she was a fine 4 pounder. fat as a pig.

R

Requested Removal

I am sure that this has happened to many of you. Fishing small for Bluegill, a 3 wt rod with a hopper dropper rigl A little hopper with an 18 Midge off the hook with 6x tippet.

The bluegill takes the hopper and during the struggle to get free, along comes a 4 1/2 lb LM bass and tries to get the bluegill. Misses the bluegill and gets hooked on the Midge.

I go from oh, this little guy is feisty, to wholly cow, what is on my line. Managed to land that LM after letting him run a bit. That 3 wt rod was not going to horse that fish anywhere.

Was pretty much fun to get him in the boat.
that is ' bait fishing ' lol

R

Requested Removal

My experience too. I have even let them take line and the bluegill. I have never landed the bass when it happens. Still a ton of fun though.
must give those bluegills, nightmares

skunkedalot

Reaction score
I saved a largie yesterday. I fished one of my farm ponds and hooked a gill on a popper. Whoosh, a largie hit it.
I let her run and then hit her . Amazingly, the hook held. I played her and lipped landed it . The gill had turned sideways in her gut.
She would have choked as th gill was way too big for her to swallow. I pulled the gill out and revived the bass. Afte a couple of minutes, she kicked her rear end and off she went.

Druunkonego

Unknown member
Reaction score
Once, in a mountain top reservoir in Norton VA, I was able to land a LMB that had eaten the bluegill that ate my fly. The trick is to let them run with it. Eventually they stop and attempt to swallow it headfirst. Only once the line starts moving again do you attempt to bring it in. We used to do the same thing, bait fishing for pike.

frickerdog

Reaction score
This morning, I watched a trout chase a small bluegill that I had hooked. That was a first. Water temp where I was fishing was close to 80, so I am glad the trout was unsuccessful.