The Unknown Smallmouth Bass River

Joe D

Reaction score
The Unknown Smallmouth Bass River

Some of the rivers that come to mind when talking about smallmouth bass fishing are rivers like Maine's Androscoggin River, West Virginia's New River, the John Day River in Oregon and Minnesota's Upper Mississippi. Healthy populations of smallmouths and prime habitat are what characterize any excellent bass river.

Like most destinations, they almost always happen someplace too far for a comfortable drive to a days fishing adventure. That is until you consider a river that local guides claim may be the best kept secret in the Northeast. A world class smallmouth bass fishery that is within a couple of hours drive from several major metropolitan areas and yet is pristine enough to be given special protection by the US Department of the Interior.

In their July, 2007 issue, Field and Stream Magazine named the Upper Delaware River on the NY/PA border as one of the top five smallmouth bass rivers in the US. The four rivers mentioned previously complete the line up. These rivers all share the same common denominator; sizable self sustaining populations of river bred bass and ideal habitat for them to thrive. The Upper Delaware just happens to be real close to New York, Northern New Jersey, Philadelphia and the metropolitan areas that surround them.

Well known for its wild trout fishery, the Upper Delaware River's reputation as an excellent smallmouth bass fishery has until now, remained mostly local knowledge. From late June to the end of October the smallmouth bass is king. More than sixty miles of prime habitat is the reason these fish have flourished and driven the river into the "top five" status.

The deep pools, riffles, small rapids and deep runs of the Delaware provide an ideal home for these river residents. The abundant insect, baitfish and crayfish population provide the fuel to these fish that have earned them the reputation as, inch for inch, the hardest fighting fish in freshwater. Whether you are a spin fisherman or fly fisherman the smallmouth bass of the Delaware are always willing to come out and provide excellent light tackle sport.

Soft baits seem to be the top producer when fishing with a spin or bait casting set up. Wacky rigged worms and any of a number of bait fish imitations consistently attract strikes. Each day the color schemes of you bait may be different, so as in any fishing situation don't be afraid to experiment. But, you have to start somewhere, so try dark colors first. Black, purple, and green to just name a few.

Fly fishermen should consider the same color patterns when selecting their fly with one notable exception. White. Streamers in all white or predominately white color patterns imitate many types of bait fish, especially the baby American shad that are literally everywhere in the late summer and fall as the migrate down river on their way to the ocean. If there is a fly you don't want to be without, it would be a Clouser minnow in several different sizes and colors. Most of the time you can get by with a floating fly line and a six or seven weight fly rod, but when the fish get deep on the bright sunny days a sink tip line can add considerably to your success.

The Upper Delaware River is under the protection of the US Department of the Interior as the Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River and forms the border between New York and Pennsylvania. The river is a partnership of individuals; private landowners; and local, state, and federal governments. Almost all the land along the river is in private ownership with several access areas operated by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and the New York Department of Environmental Conservation.

Since almost all of the river banks are in private ownership, floating the river is the perfect way to fish the swift riffles and slower pools on an all day excursion down the Delaware. The services of a professional fishing guide will help assure your fishing trip is the best it can be. I've personally fished this river for over 35 years with more than a decade as a full time fishing guide and am amazed at how the smallmouth fishery gets better year after year. I believe one of the keys to sustaining this fishery is through catch and release angling, which almost all the fishermen I encounter practice and is the rule in my boat.

Davo

Reaction score
Joe;

Another great article. One of these days I have to get out that way to visit my sister and her family. Any idea how far away Bronxville NY is. Might be able to work out a day of fishing with the brother in law. If I get the opportunity we'll go you for your guiding services for sure.

Joe D

Reaction score
Joe;

Another great article. One of these days I have to get out that way to visit my sister and her family. Any idea how far away Bronxville NY is. Might be able to work out a day of fishing with the brother in law. If I get the opportunity we'll go you for your guiding services for sure.

Davo,

Thanks for the kind words...

Two hours max. and we can be fishing. It would be a blast!

da Bear

Reaction score
I feel I must mention the Maury River in the beautiful state of Virgina as an unknown smallmout heaven as well. It lies entirely w/in the county of Rockbridge, and while catches over 4 lbs are rare, those fish are there and when not fortunate enough to land one of these every time, the sheer numbers of bass is a wonderful thing to experience. If ever in Lexington or there about, I would strongly suggest one try it! I am fortuante to live w/in a five minute walk of the lower end of the river, and in 40-45 minutes can be anywhere on the river.
p.s. This is my first post here, and I'm grateful for this forum, especially in light of some of the garbage I have experienced elsewhere. Take care.

dooolan

Reaction score
Do you know where I can find any more information on the John Day River in regards to where you can fish from shore. I have driven by there many times and have always wanted to fish it....

jw12

Reaction score
I have only caught one smallmouth in my life and it was the most exciting fish I've caught, really enjoyed this.

johnnysdg

Reaction score
I grew up fishing largemouth, then when I was about 10 we started fishing a local creek and caught smallmouth. Some years later I caught one about 5lbs in the creek during high fast water and I was one of the best fights I've ever experienced. I was hooked on smallies after that.
There is a creek near my house that get heavy action in spring when they stock it with trout. I fish it in the summer and fall for the smallies. Caught some nice ones too.

Joe, I'm 20 minutes to the port jervis/matamoris boarder. How far are you from there?

Johnny

Ligoniera1

Reaction score
I have fished the Delaware a few times…crazy challenging river for trout at times. So when I cant take it any more I periodically chuck a clouser to fluster my trouty friends. They’re easy like that;-). And I am usually rewarded with a hard fighting “green trout”.

new2flyfishing

Reaction score
I haven't been on it in a few years, but there is a Delaware River forum. Not under that name. Guys often talked about 100 plus Smallmouth days. And I am not talking about the air temperature. ?