Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Do bass jump or come out of the water when eating?

Quote Originally Posted by SkipS View Post
    I have seen smallmouth bass jump after damselflies & dragonflies many times.Largemouth will often do the same.
    Not just damselflies & dragonflies, but crickets, grasshoppers & when the White Miller hatch was on & it looked like a hail storm with all the bass feeding as there were plenty of cannonball splashes from smallies & bucketmouths high flying acrobatic feasting habits. Then there's Dobbin flies for "was that a wheel off a car or a truck" that just went into the water !

I've never went after it but people have told me there are sections of the Grand R in Michigan that have prolific hex hatch and it's a great time to slay smallmouth.

A cicada would be quite a meal. I think I saw one for the first time in my yard injured. Had the dog freaked out. I quickly took the butt end of a 4x4 and put it out of its misery.

They don't have legs so they don't jump. They just come out of the water when chasing or attacking something to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by LimerickShaw View Post
    Hi all,

I was fishing the other day and saw some fish surface but they were too far away for me to really tell what type of fish it was. I was fishing for trout but it got me thinking if I see a fish jump will it always be a trout or do bass do the same? I can't say I've ever really seen a bass jump so that may be my answer but I wanted to know from people that have more fishing experience than I do.

Cheers
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

5. Likes bigal36 liked this post

I have seen Largemouth Bass come out of the water to pluck dragonflies off of leaves and once saw a Smallmouth take a dragonfly off of a rock in the middle of the stream.
    "We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About"

Very cool video, Silver.

That "skating" technique is one that sometimes works on species you'd never think of.

I've watched my buddy Wayne catch most of his permit that were sickling in a sort of trance, soon after they float up to the surface, using the skating technique.

He'd cast a live crab 6 feet or so in front of them and, immediately upon landing, skate it along the surface for three or four feet before giving it slack and letting it dive for the bottom. It usually resulted in a hookup. I also used with very good success "skating" a large Atlantic Salmon bomber for big, late-night browns on a slow water stretch of the Eagle River in Colorado. No doubt they thought it was a field mouse, which were abundant in that stretch.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123