Had another great night

darkcahill

Reaction score
Got out last night with some friends for Channel Cats and Carp and had a blast. We had some really great fishing. Out of the group of eight guys, six caught Cats and I was the only one lucky enough to tie into a Carp. Lots of sore arms and line burns.

The look on my face says it all!!!!!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
darkcahill: Looks like a great night for fishing cats and carp! Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Larry

darkcahill

Reaction score
I was use a 9 wt. system on the Red. This is a small backwater area that is full of forage. The fly was a brown DDH Leech. Along with the Cats and Carp I caught Sauger, White Bass and Goldeye. Of course these fish don't put up a fight on a 9 wt. but when you fish the Red you go down with the heaviest system you can.
As for the fight of these big Cats bring a reel with at least 150 yards of backing. I've been sppoled a couple of times.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
WOW! Great stuff. You must have had a blast with those. I bet those cats really slammed it.

What kind of structure do you look for? That river looks like it's moving. It must be a real rodeo hooking one of those things in current. Do you wear track shoes to chase them down stream?

mark

darkcahill

Reaction score
Not only track shoes but you have to learn to run on water. They do pull a lot of line and they pull hard. The part of the river I am fishing is sort of a backwater type area off the main current so there is some moving water. I always look for the holes or if there is a trench or old riverbed I will fish those. Of course with moving water you have to figure out how to fish these areas productively and that does take some time. Once you figure it out though you will be catching fish like crazy.

darkcahill

Reaction score
I use a Rio compensated sink tip. The sink tip portion is 15 ft and is a type VI sinking. When casting I quater my cast upstream and let the current drag the fly down stream. No mending and no retrieve until the fly is directly down stream from me. I find that the Cats and Carp will hit half way through the drift with the other species hitting at the end of the drift as the fly is pulled up towards the surface.
When I use my leech pattern I tie it on with a loop knot, it adds action to the fly even when it is drifting.