smallmouth reels

lefty2

Reaction score
guys, i need a little help. i am planning on buying a new 6wt for smallies and i am having trouble on a reel. i would like to spend under 200 bux for the reel. is it imperative that i buy a l.a.? i do have a english made battenkill on my 5wt. any thoughts will be appreciated.

btw, i was hoping on an american made reel or possibly another english-made battenkill on ebay.

thanks for any help.

SkipS

Reaction score
Reels for SMB are just line storage devices.I have never had a SMB or a LMB take me into the backing and ive chased both for many years.My favorite reels for 6wt freshwater are a J Ryall #6 and a Hardy Lightweight Princess.Both have caught many smallies.I feel LA reels are so overrated I dont even see a need for most saltwater fishing.I fish the salt almost daily and have taken lots of stripers with a SA reel with no problems.A LA reel for smallies is totally unnecessary unless you prefer that style.A Battenkill would be a good choice for a SMB reel.

lefty2

Reaction score
thanks, skip. my thougts also. (however, i am fairly new to fly fishing).

MikeG

Reaction score
Only time I had to use a reel on a smb was one on Lake Michigan that weighed like 5lbs. Besides that stripping should work fine.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hmmmm....I was fishing for smallmouth this afternoon/evening. I brought a
9' 6wt, and a Ross Rhythm size 3 reel. The reel balance the rod nicely, has
a very smooth and stable drag system (I hate stripping line off with an erratic
drag!), and the mid-arbor picks up line quickly when it's time to move along.
I've really become fond of reels that take line in quickly, and feel like I'm
waiting forever with smaller reels. I have bluegills run at me faster than I
can take up line with a mid arbor, so I don't use it for that reason.

Having said that, I used Okuma SLV reels for a few years, and never had a
single problem. They cost $60 retail, have a silent retrieve, silky smooth (but
sometimes needs adjustment) drag, and are tough as nails. I've dropped a
few of the SLV's off the top of my car more than once, and nothing happened. Parts are available from Okuma USA in California if needed, however.

FlyRichardFly

Reaction score
I also use a 9' 6wt for smallies, sometimes a 8'6" 4wt.
I like the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor reels the best. They have a great drag, very light, and modestly priced!!
Like Frank said above, when you go to a large arbor reel, you will never go back!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I live in a place that has pretty big Smallmouth (see my avatar ) and fish for them alot. I end up with many of them on the reel. All you really need is a drag that starts and runs at the same pressure. No "jerky" drags. I have a Gander Mountain Guide Series X-3 #5/6 I have no complaints with. I use another rod sometimes that I have a system 2 SA reel on. Neither reel was to expensive. As long as the drag won't give you problems when you do hit a big one, any fairly good reel works.

Attachments

45fisher

Reaction score
I am not afiliated in anyway with this business, but they have a great policy and their stuff is really top-rated, with decent prices.

FlyFishing Benefactors:
Fly Fishing Benefactors

"We are passionate about fly fishing and about supporting organizations that promote and preserve our passion. The Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF) , Trout Unlimited (TU) , Virginia Fly Fish (VaFlyFish.com) , 1% for the Planet, and Project Healing Waters are currently the organizations that we support financially. We make a substantial annual contribution to each of these organizations based on our sales revenues."

Larry

BigCliff

Reaction score
I would suggest a Lamson Konic or possibly even a Guru, or a Sage 1650. I believe both Lamson's are made here in the US.

You don't have to get a large arbor reel for smallmouth, but in the price range of $80-$200, why not take advantage of faster line pick-up, less line coiling, and more consistent drag?

FrankB2

Reaction score
You don't have to get a large arbor reel for smallmouth, but in the price range of $80-$200, why not take advantage of faster line pick-up, less line coiling, and more consistent drag?
Yup! It's like Richard said above. I should mention that I'm really loving my
Ross Radius reels. I finally pulled the 3.5 out of the box today, and it weighs
5.4oz on my digital (not a drug dealer :D ) scale. Ross states 5.2, but that's
close enough. We were fishing 9' 6wt's today, and I had a Ross Rhythm 3
on one, and the 3.5 on the other. We were fishing a lake, and moving quite
a bit in our canoe. Reeling in 45-60 feet of line with a standard arbor would
have cut into my fishing time ;) . These reels are 100% USA, and you can
still find them here and there new.
Click here for FAQs about the Lamson Konic: Lamson Konic Reels at BEARSDEN.COM Scroll to the bottom of the page, and you'll see it's a mix of
overseas and USA parts. My guess would be USA drag components, and everything else made in Asia. I emailed HMH about their Silhouette vise, and
was told the parts are made in Asia, but polished up in the USA. The response
was from HMH's prez, and he went on about "What does it really mean when
someone says 'Made in USA'?" To me it means made, not polished, in the
USA:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
Check for Lamson Velocity reels on ebay. I got a #3 for $140 delivered.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
If you can't find a velocity #3 Lamson on E Bay, there is some at Sierra Trading Post for $134.oo. They have a web site. They do overstock and discontinued stuff for 40 - 70% off. All new no damage. The ones here are the '06 model. I think it is a great place to get good stuff dirt cheap. You have to check it all the time because sometimes really great stuff comes in at dirt cheap prices and limited numbers and don't last long.
Sierra Trading Post - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands

johnwest43

Reaction score
just make sure, what ever reel you decided on , to put it on your rod first to check the balance. balance gets over looked in todays market which says lighter is better. with the reel on the rod balance the rod cork on your finger about where the midddle of your palm will be when casting. if it tips forward the reel is to light. Back, its to heavy. this doesnt sound like much but it makes a huge difference if you are casting all day. you should be able to cradle your rod in your hand with out it tipping one way or the other.

just my 2 cents

john

BigCliff

Reaction score
just make sure, what ever reel you decided on , to put it on your rod first to check the balance. balance gets over looked in todays market which says lighter is better. with the reel on the rod balance the rod cork on your finger about where the midddle of your palm will be when casting. if it tips forward the reel is to light. Back, its to heavy. this doesnt sound like much but it makes a huge difference if you are casting all day. you should be able to cradle your rod in your hand with out it tipping one way or the other.

just my 2 cents

john
I think balance is quite important, but determine optimal balance a slightly different way.

First off, you'll need to add in the weight of the fly line to determine optimal balance. As you get into heavier line weights, this makes even more of a difference. (even though at least some of the weight of the line will be off the reel while casting)

Next, I think that a rod is perfectly balanced when it balances where your index finger will be with your normal grip. A mid-palm balance point will require a heavier reel than I think optimal.

lefty2

Reaction score
guys, i thank you for your input. gives me a start. also, glad for the mini-lessons in balance. again, thank you.......rap

Tracker12

Reaction score
The 08 Velocity is a great reel. I have a #2 and love it. But my favorite is a Ross Evolution #3 I picked up from FrankB2. I have it on a Sage RPL+ 6wt and it is my smallmouth setup.

tie one on

Reaction score
It's always fun trying to pick fly fishing equipment & you have received some great advice, so here is another suggestion.

If you can find one I'd suggest a Tioga Teton that would fit your fly rod weight. I have one on my Thomas/Thomas 10' 7wt steelhead rod which I use for Smallies.

It has never failed me & I like that setup because it allows me to throw bigger flies with either my sink tip, or floating line.

Try searching the internet (like thru goggle) for the reel. I'm not sure if the manufacturer is still making them or not, but someone may have one that they will give a deal.

Just a thought,

Tie One On-----------------<*))))))))><

Cool Hand Hodge

Reaction score
I use a fairly expensive machined reel that was a copule hundered bucks. My fishing buddy uses a pfluger medalist that was $25. They both work great! My point is that smallies arnt (in my experience) going to destroy reels and burn drag. Get whatever you like...you should be fine.