Votes: 29 27.6%
  • stay as a nongame fish

Votes: 49 46.7%
  • i don't care

Votes: 27 25.7%

• Total voters

Troutwhisperer

Reaction score
i thought this might be an interesting poll to see what people think about carp.

in most states (i don't know it might be all states) the carp is considered a non-game fish.

do you think that it should stay a nongame fish or should become a game fish now that people are reallizing its sporting value.

Jackster

Reaction score
I guess I need to know the difference between a game and a non-game fish before voting.

As for carp... LOVE 'em! Those suckers don't want to be caught or landed if hooked!

yatahey

Reaction score
Hmmm.
What do I think of carp.
OK
Carp.
One butt ugly fish that fights like a tarpon.

BlueDun

Reaction score
Are you asking if they should get special protection or what? As with Jackster, I would need to know what difference it would make to classify carp as "game fish" before voting.

Troutwhisperer

Reaction score
yeah i should have said that, i meant like when a fish is a game fish in MT you can't just toss it on a bank and let it die. so im asking if you think they should become a game fish so people can't kill them anymore or stay a nongame fish to control there numbers.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Carp are awesome...

To fish for no matter what they are classified, they are truly a tough fish to catch on the fly; and I don't know of a freshwater fish that gives a better fight. As far as throwing them on the bank goes, it doesn't matter if they are a game fish or a non-game fish, that act is performed by an unethical person. If I was fishing with someone who did that it would be the last time we fished together.

Dan

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
To fish for no matter what they are classified, they are truly a tough fish to catch on the fly; and I don't know of a freshwater fish that gives a better fight. As far as throwing them on the bank goes, it doesn't matter if they are a game fish or a non-game fish, that act is performed by an unethical person. If I was fishing with someone who did that it would be the last time we fished together.

Dan
I do agree with you Dan...game fish,non game fish doesn't mean anything to me...dace carp and others are far more difficult to catch than trout...my friends JM and Batistou enjoy fighting these torpedos(see my thread outstanding catch)they always release all the fish they catch no matter their species...if they threw them on the bank...they wouldn't be my best fishing buddies.

BlueDun

Reaction score
yeah i should have said that, i meant like when a fish is a game fish in MT you can't just toss it on a bank and let it die. so im asking if you think they should become a game fish so people can't kill them anymore or stay a nongame fish to control there numbers.
Thanks for clarifying! Unfortunately, where I live, there is no penalty for throwing fish on the bank :icon_mad: and I agree with HuronRiverDan, et. al that no fish should tossed away like that. I suspect my response does not get at the gist of your question, but I do think they are worthy of protection and being managed to control their numbers.

BAM

Reaction score
What do I think of carp?.........................PIA:mad: Spookiest fish I`ve every trid to catch. Just found a lake with a very healthy population. Yesterday they were tailing everywhere, from less than a foot of water out to about 8-10' water, creating plenty of mud blooms. Not one hit but sure scared the H3ll out of plenty of them. This evening, not nearly as many tailing, but some right up against the bank in just a few inches of water. Not a hit. I spotted 3 just slowly cruising and rooting around in less than 1' of water. I cast from behind and up along side the closest into the middle of the 3 of them. They didn`t spook but just went along feeding as nice as you please. WOW , they didn`t spook , pat self on back for making a decent cast, wait got nibble... line set hook... got something.... feels aweful small.... what the ????? Damn sunfish.... and off race 3 large subs for deeper water. This only the second time I`ve been able to fish for carp and they already have me hating them. That is until next time.

HookEmHorns

Reaction score
I think carp are some great fish. I just can't catch them for some reason! haha. I have been trying to but they are so easily spooked that I can't even get close to them to be able to cast near them. But one of these days I'm gonna catch em! :)

Joni

Reaction score
I love fishing for them. They are a true challenge, plus the Grass they live in is a challenge.
The only species I use over 8 lb fluoro on LOL.
I will admit, I do bag them and dispose of them due to the fact they need to be harvested, but I am not about to eat one. But I don't leave them lying around to attract bugs.

flyfisher117

Reaction score
I love fishing for them. They are a true challenge, plus the Grass they live in is a challenge.
The only species I use over 8 lb fluoro on LOL.
I will admit, I do bag them and dispose of them due to the fact they need to be harvested, but I am not about to eat one. But I don't leave them lying around to attract bugs.
YEEaaa rock on!!! take as many as you can!...i hate carp

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Joni, do you have a smoker? :D They are a blast to catch, I will switch over my top water flies for Smallies at the drop of the hat when I see a pod come near me...I saw one yesterday that was at least 30 inches; I was almost disappointed when the Smallies were picking up my Carp Teaser before the Carp. I picked up two Smallies in the 14 - 15 inch range that were in feeding with the Carp. Flyfisher, try catching one and see if your hate changes...:D

Dan

Joni

Reaction score
Joni, do you have a smoker? :D They are a blast to catch, I will switch over my top water flies for Smallies at the drop of the hat when I see a pod come near me...I saw one yesterday that was at least 30 inches; I was almost disappointed when the Smallies were picking up my Carp Teaser before the Carp. I picked up two Smallies in the 14 - 15 inch range that were in feeding with the Carp. Flyfisher, try catching one and see if your hate changes...:D

Dan
I just had a piece of smoked Cat Fish after all these years and must say, it wasn't bad, but, got to pass on the Carp.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Joni, give them a try before you pass judgement on them...Carp were originally brought to the USA as a food fish from Europe. They are actually a very clean fish when you think about what there diet consists of; nymphs, scuds, crayfish...Hmmm sound like what trout and bass feed on...:shocking: LOL I am making an effort to catch them at every opportunity now, and I release them so they can grow bigger and be caught again...

Dan

notenuftoys

Reaction score
I'm new to fly fishing, but I've been out twice now looking for carp. The first time was in a river, and they just wouldn't take. There was some around, but they didn't like what I had (don't remember the bug). Then Saturday we went looking for them again on the flats at a local lake, but there was none to be found. But it has become my mission to get one on a 6wt rod. At least until trout pick up in Oklahoma.