What else have you caught

darkcahill

Reaction score
Being a warmwater fly fishing nut I am always curious about other fish species caught on the fly rod. Most warmwayer fisherman have caught bass, crappie, etc. but what is the most unusual fish you have taken on the fly.

darkcahill

Reaction score
Guys has to be fish, although seeing a bat caught on a backcast would be something special.

gregorykicks

Reaction score
well i haven't been fly fishing long, but i guess for me it was a shad about the length of my pointer finger. With a prince nymph. now the craziest way i've seen one caught was through the tail. it was a bluegill that bit and spit and when my friend went to set the hook it hooked into his tail. That was pretty crazy.

steelheadrob

Reaction score
A really good warmwater fighting fish are carp. I know we all cringe at the sound of carp but they will give you a serious run for your money if they have space, they also eat pretty weird stuff somtimes; cottonwood seeds etc, so you get to tie some bizarre stuff for them aswell. Bring your 8wt :icon_mrgr

ps. catfish are also pretty niffty aswell but a lot harder to catch since they're bottom feeders.

and just to top the duck i hooked a kispiox river beaver :icon_mrgr

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
steelheadrob said:
and just to top the duck i hooked a kispiox river beaver :icon_mrgr
I wasnt going to say anything but....

The neighbors cat!

I win I win.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Lets see, I've caught:

Guadalupe bass
Smallmouth bass
Spotted Bass
Largemouth Bass
White Bass
Common Carp
Channel Cat
Flathead Cat
Green Sunfish
Bluegill
Longear
Warmouth
Other Varieties of sunfish I never learned to ID
Spotted Gar
Tilapia
Rio Grande Perch (mexican cichlid)
Gaspergoo (fw drum)
And some minnows that really wanted an Airhead

darkcahill

Reaction score
Hey fshfanatic forget the cat, I caught the neighbour and she was really cute. I call her wife today.

Jakeway

Reaction score
25 inch, 5+ pound Drum on an Egg Sucking Leech, 9 ft 7 wt Orvis rod.

(Poor pic from buddy's cell phone. I think he was jealous, and waited until the fish turned the wrong way before snapping the pic.)

Joni

Reaction score
For me, on a fly rod, grayling, cutts, browns, bluegill. crappie, crayfish, walleye, rainbow, carp, cat, salmon, perch, shad, sculpin and anywhere from 1" to 30+":cool:

atlaw

Reaction score
A beaver, really. He swam into the leader and was hooked on the shoulder. Hell of a fight for a few seconds.....

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I caught a buzz once, ok fine. I catch a buzz just about every time I go fishing.

Joni

Reaction score
I know you want fish species, but I just remembered a part of my Labor Day trip that was funny. I had hooked into a nice fish and was in the process of bringing it in when three Pelican's landed real close. I wasn't paying attention to them, but My sister in law yells at me that they are after my fish.
He was, and I had visions of this protected bird flying off with my fish and my fly still in it's mouth....what to do. Anyway, he got close to my fish so I started slpping the side of my pontoon to scare him off. I would reel a little more them start slapping the side of my boat again. Took forever to get this fish in, then the birds took off and I felt at ease to let this poor fish go. It was amusing after all was done.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Reel.... flail.... reel.... flail.... That does sound amusing Joni.

Kinda sounds like what I did the other night to keep a cottontail from running in front of my bike. My wife thought it was hilarious that I was barking at it like a dog. I don't know why she would think a 250lb guy on a road bike barking at a cute rodent was funny....

Anybody ever caught a duck or a seagull? I've come close to having my fly grabbed by them, but haven't yet.

mobarclay

Reaction score
Recently I was followed around the pond by a flock of turtles that really wanted my fly. Kinda strange - one by one they would pop up so that there was a turtle just about anywhere I could cast so I moved to a different section.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
mobarclay said:
Recently I was followed around the pond by a flock of turtles that really wanted my fly. Kinda strange - one by one they would pop up so that there was a turtle just about anywhere I could cast so I moved to a different section.
When I was a kid we had a pond FULL of turtles. I would sit on the banks for hours with my .22 waiting for the turtle heads ( ha ha) to popup. Great target practice.

troutbum

Reaction score
Well I thought I would throw in a catch I made today.How 'bout a 410lb bluefin tuna(332 lbs dressed) Ok, Ok, it wasn't caught on a Fly Rod, but a live mackeral under a kite,just like dry fly fishin,but super duper sized!!