Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly fishing for bass with a weightless plastic worm

Default Re: Fly fishing for bass with a weightless plastic worm

Quote Originally Posted by flytyer56 View Post
    The only problem I can see is if you bury the hook point in the worm to make it weedless, I don't think you could set the hook hard enough with a fly rod to drive the hook out of the worm into the fish. To much give in a fly rod.
    Given the weight of a plastic worm (big enough to bury a hook point in), you don't want to be casting it on a light rod. An 8wt seems ideal. And I'm of the opinion that if you're after fish that deserve an 8wt, you're a fool to attempt to set the hook with the rod. Strip strike instead and you've got a whole lot more power. You also haven't used a 11' lever to move the fly away from the fish, so they can take another strike at it if they like.

Here's a good tutorial- http://www.fieldandstream.com/node/57156 (though I would hold off on the rod sweep until you feel the weight of the fish.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

2. Default Re: Fly fishing for bass with a weightless plastic worm

Good point - I guess I usually strip strike when going with the weedless setup. No problem catching some pretty big fish on the 6wt using this. You do have to shop around a bit to find a hook that is the right size.

2 inch grub

Texas rigged

Caught and released

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Re: Fly fishing for bass with a weightless plastic worm

Quote Originally Posted by flytyer56 View Post
    It's not what I would call fly fishing. .
    Ditto on that one. I think you would enjoy thing like the flies Frank showed more. I use a fly that is a lot like the bipolar worm but has a bunny strip tail. Deer hair poppers and clousers work pretty well also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12