Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: pike fly rod?

Default pike fly rod?

i am hoping to get a pike fly rod set up for next season. i have been looking around, and i just dont know what to get! i currently have a 5 weight orvis clearwater for panfish and bass, but for large bass and pike i think i want a 7 or an 8 weight. any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Default Re: pike fly rod?

Send Diver Dan a PM, he seems to have the pike thing down.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Hi rmooney,

It has a lot to do with were you are fishing and how big the Pike are. With wire bite tippets and big flies it takes a strong rod. Throw in a little wind and I wouldn't want anything smaller than an 8wt or even a 9wt fishing the big Lakes. I fished for Pike in Alaska with an 8wt with no problem but I wasn't throwing the super big Pike flies. The Alaska Pike don't get as big as they do in Canada.

Frank

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

You need an 8, 9, or 10 wt. I have a Winston BIIX 10 wt. for Pike. Awsome rod. I use pretty large flies and it tosses them with ease. I like the 10 wt. Winston over the other 3 rods big enough for Pike just because of the way it casts. I Have an 8, a 9, and another 10. By far the one I like the most is the Winston. My 9 is a G. Loomis and it's not to bad either, but it doesn't cast as well. (for me anyway) Contrary to what most will tell you, you don't need the huge rod for landing Pike. If you look in my photos there is a 38 1/2" pike I got on a 5 wt. fishing for Smallies. You need the size for casting the flies. I don't know if it will work with the small size of allowed photos here but try to save that pike photo and zoom in on it. It is covered with tooth holes where a much bigger one tried to eat it. This was at the end of July so it wasn't wounds from fighting over spawning territory. I want to catch the one that looked at her as lunch!

Blog Entries

Hey Dan,
    Sometime in my lifetime, I'll do a pike trip to your region. What kinds of fly lines do you use?

MP

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    Hey Dan,
    Sometime in my lifetime, I'll do a pike trip to your region. What kinds of fly lines do you use?

MP
    When you do get to make it here, drop me message and I'll help you out as much as I can. As for the lines, I have used the Cortland 444SL pike/Musky taper, the SA mastery series Pike/Musky taper, and the Mastery Series Tarpon line. I like the SA Pike/Musky the best of the three.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info, Dan.

MP