Texas Size Gar!

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All I can say is "wow" and why kill it? I assume they dont eat those and that would cost as much as a house to mount..

BigCliff

Reaction score
That one is pretty good size, but they get much bigger in Texas. That one looks like about 180-200 lbs. The state record for a line caught Alligator gar is about 100 lbs heavier, and there are many bigger than that in our waters. Like an Aliigator, the roll when trying to kill something in their mouth, and thus will wrap line and leader around their toothy snouts, breaking most anybody off. I bet the largest living in this state is knocking on 500 lbs.

It is sad to see them killed, because that one pictured is probably over 70 years old.

Troutlassie124

Reaction score
I'm from Texas City, and I can tell you a good reason for killing them as you catch them. When they take over a fishing spot, they eat everything, from those lovely panfish, bass, etc., to the cute little fuzzy ducklings and their anxious parents, not to mention nutria and their kin. I also believe that if they fancied your footwear, you might lose those also. They are hard as Hell to kill. We (my Dad and I) once caught a little one and by the time we did him in, there was blood from one end of the boat to the other. Their heads are well armored, too. So.........watch those fingers and toes, and keep the young-uns back.They weren't dining on salads to get that big.:eek:

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So you saying kill them because they are predators? hmm.. From your list of "food items" they sound just like a LMBass, as they eat anything they can fit in their mouths. Or are you condeming them just because they get bigger?

Considering they grow very slowly by comparison, to kill a 5 ft'er you are killing something that has been alive probably longer than you.

Not to bash you, but that definition on why to kill them seems very short sided.

What are you going to do if they become endangered or god forbid extinct, have a party?

Troutlassie124

Reaction score
They are the top of the food chain, and actually have, and do pose a threat to the game fish population wherever they are found. I am not completely certain, but I think they began by taking over at a time when there were many drainage ditches and canals dug, which allowed them to expand into areas previously populated by more desirable spiecies. They have a high tolerance for water with lower oxygen levels and higher temps.I am not even sure where their original range existed, or if they just started out-reproducing other fish types in a broad area. At one time there was a concerted effort to erradicate them by Wildlife Biologists. That was about 40years ago. Don't know what is going on now with their management.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Found a good article discussing their impact on other fish species and their impact. http://espn.go.com/outdoors/general/s/g_fea_gator_gar_help_Springer.html

Given the conservation push, the picture with the guy in the yellow jacket seems poorly chosen.

By the way, I think Alligator Gar are more native to Texas than Largemouth Bass are. Supporting killing them because they are eating bass seems a lot like what was done to the human natives of this state.

Troutlassie124

Reaction score
Thank you for the update. I was actually playing a bit of the Devil's advocate in regards to the topic. As I say, 40 years ago, the consensus was of concern for the sport fishing industry, not to mention that there are many in the South that count on fishing as a way of keeping protein on the table.
Alligator Gar are kinda cute and cuddly.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Troutlassie124 said:
Thank you for the update. I was actually playing a bit of the Devil's advocate in regards to the topic. As I say, 40 years ago, the consensus was of concern for the sport fishing industry, not to mention that there are many in the South that count on fishing as a way of keeping protein on the table.
Alligator Gar are kinda cute and cuddly.
Sarcasm aside I am not really following your thought process..

Troutlassie124

Reaction score
I thought I was pretty clear, that I learned something new from reading the article, which I found enlightening. The cute and cuddly coment was a feeble attempt at humor. Lighten up a little!

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in bow fishing for these monsters you might check out my buddies web site. I originally did the site for him but he has since picked it and maintains it himself. If you decide to go tell him that I sent you.

http://www.easttexasbowfishingguide.com

Thanks,
Terry