Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas Size Gar!

1. Default Re: Texas Size Gar!

They are the top of the food chain, and actually have, and do pose a threat to the game fish population wherever they are found. I am not completely certain, but I think they began by taking over at a time when there were many drainage ditches and canals dug, which allowed them to expand into areas previously populated by more desirable spiecies. They have a high tolerance for water with lower oxygen levels and higher temps.I am not even sure where their original range existed, or if they just started out-reproducing other fish types in a broad area. At one time there was a concerted effort to erradicate them by Wildlife Biologists. That was about 40years ago. Don't know what is going on now with their management.

Default Re: Texas Size Gar!

Found a good article discussing their impact on other fish species and their impact. http://espn.go.com/outdoors/general/..._Springer.html

Given the conservation push, the picture with the guy in the yellow jacket seems poorly chosen.

By the way, I think Alligator Gar are more native to Texas than Largemouth Bass are. Supporting killing them because they are eating bass seems a lot like what was done to the human natives of this state.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

3. Default Re: Texas Size Gar!

Thank you for the update. I was actually playing a bit of the Devil's advocate in regards to the topic. As I say, 40 years ago, the consensus was of concern for the sport fishing industry, not to mention that there are many in the South that count on fishing as a way of keeping protein on the table.
    Alligator Gar are kinda cute and cuddly.

Cute and cuddly? Now that's a little much.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

5. Default Re: Texas Size Gar!

Quote Originally Posted by Troutlassie124
    Thank you for the update. I was actually playing a bit of the Devil's advocate in regards to the topic. As I say, 40 years ago, the consensus was of concern for the sport fishing industry, not to mention that there are many in the South that count on fishing as a way of keeping protein on the table.
    Alligator Gar are kinda cute and cuddly.
    Sarcasm aside I am not really following your thought process..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6. Default Re: Texas Size Gar!

I thought I was pretty clear, that I learned something new from reading the article, which I found enlightening. The cute and cuddly coment was a feeble attempt at humor. Lighten up a little!

7. Default Re: Texas Size Gar!

Lighten up? I was just trying to clarify your position..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If anyone is interested in bow fishing for these monsters you might check out my buddies web site. I originally did the site for him but he has since picked it and maintains it himself. If you decide to go tell him that I sent you.

http://www.easttexasbowfishingguide.com

Thanks,
    Terry
    "Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"
    Henry David Thoreau

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12