Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new pike/musky setup!!!

i just got my early christmas present

the rod is a Redington CPX 9' 10 weight.
    the reel is a Cabela's XSS with a back up spool.

im setting one spool up with floating line and the other with either sink tip or full sink. i already have the Teeny Pat Ehlers Pike floating line, i just dont know whether to go with sink tip or full sink line. any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Default Re: new pike/musky setup!!!

Diver Dan is hardcore when it comes to pike and musky. I am sure that he will have an opinion.

If I had the choice, I would choose to put a shooting head system on that spool. I would use a .030" intermediate running line with 400 to 450 grain heads in intermediate sink, type 3, 6, and 8. That setup would allow you to play the depth game more efficiently.

Your CPX can handle heads in the 400 to 450 grain range (maybe even more). Go with the grain weight that you feel more comfortable casting.

Enjoy your new rig.

MP

I'd go with the sink tip over a full sink.
    "I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." Jack Handy

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
    i just dont know whether to go with sink tip or full sink line. any suggestions?
    Mosca Pescador's idea is a pretty good one. If you don't like the interchangable heads a full sink line is handy if you have places where you know Pike are going to be hanging in pretty deep water. Most places you won't need more than a sink tip line. I have a really big lake here, (1 million acres) and get real big fish in structureless deep water. A full sinking line is good for that. In summer when it has been hot for a while, big fish move up on the rock reefs. It is 30' plus around them but the tops where the fish are, go from 9' to maybe 15'. Sink tip is fine there. Most of the time you only need the floating line. Pike and Musky see really well up and are willing to come up for flies. If you can only get two to start, you may want the full sink, because you can cover more water with the float / full sink combo than the sink tip / float. If you plan to do a bunch of this kind of fishing, all three would probably be a good goal.

Also, if you plan on more Musky than Pike fishing, then get the full sink first. Most people are not aware of this, but musky once caught, generally won't go as shallow again. If you fish them on a pressured lake you will need the full sink just to get the numbers of hookups.

It would help some to know where you plan to fish, big water, small, Musky Pike etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    Where are you planning to be fishing? A full sink line is handy if you have places where you know Pike are going to be hanging in pretty deep water. Most places you won't need more than a sink tip line. I have a really big lake here, (1 million acres) and get real big fish in structureless deep water. A full sinking line is good for that. In summer when it has been hot for a while, big fish move up on the rock reefs. It is 30' plus around them but the tops where the fish are, go from 9' to maybe 15'. Sink tip is fine there. Most of the time you only need the floating line. Pike and Musky see really well up and are willing to come up for flies. If you can only get two to start, you may want the full sink, because you can cover more water with the float / full sink combo than the sink tip / float. If you plan to do a bunch of this kind of fishing, all three would probably be a good goal.

Also, if you plan on more Musky than Pike fishing, then get the full sink first. Most people are not aware of this, but musky once caught, generally won't go as shallow again. If you fish them on a pressured lake you will need the full sink just to get the numbers of hookups.
    I figured that i would want to get the full sink because i would be able to cover more water and depth with those two. im going to be fishing the Mississippi backwaters, the lower wisonsin river, and northern wisconsin lakes. i also got barry reynold's latest book on fishing for pike, and i plan on reading that cover to cover before next season. ive caught pike before on the fly, but id like to target them specifically. this summer i am going to be staying in La Crosse, WI to do my undergraduate research project, so i plan on finding some good spots along the mississippi thanks for the info everyone!

Pictures?
    Mikey Adams
    Up North Journal
    www.upnorthjournal.com

7. Default Re: new pike/musky setup!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bi visable View Post
    Pictures?

Afton Angler with a big gal taken early in the 2009 season

Lucky Porter with a nice summertime musky taken from the Chippewa River in July, 2009

Marv with a beautiful natural Tiger taken from the Chippewa River in October, 2009

want more?

excellent pics!!!!!

Welcome aboard AA!

As y'all can see, this guy knows a thing or two about Muskies.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Nice photos. Welcome aboard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast